• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peter and Buster getting neutered tomorrow

Amandabwfc

Warren Scout
I’m sorry I know there are lots of threads on people getting there rabbits neutered but I’m very nervous and want to know what’s for the best.

My 2 are getting neutered tomorrow, fingers crossed everything will be ok :) but they are strictly outdoor buns and I don’t have to option to keep them indoors at all (big chocolate lab on the prowl), so will they be ok just kept inside their hutch to restrict the exercise they get for a couple of days? Also is it best that I remove all straw and hay and get some of that safe bedding stuff for the next few days.

Also i might ring the vets and ask but after the op will they be kept in different cages to recover or will they be kept together because they are bonded and i dont split them up at all.

thanks

They will need to be kept warm that first night in particular because rabbits cant regulae their temperature and if they get cold they are likely to go into shock and die.

Vets normally suggest bringing them inside for the first night, Could you put them in a room where your dog doesn't go? Or close the door? If not, you will need to be up every hour or so to heat them a rice sock, or a snuggle safe so that they don't get cold and have the option for snuggling.

There are two options, keep them apart but next to each other, or keep them together all the way through. If you keep them apart then you will be able to monitor food intake, poos and wees, which will mean you will know how each bun is doing. If you keep them together they will probably feel better, but you will have a harder time knowing which one is doing what and will need to observe them closely so that you don't miss any potential signs that one is struggling.

Good luck with them!

:wave: My bun is an outside bun but it really is best to try to bring them inside. You need to keep an eye on them and they get cold after the op so they need to be kept warm. I've got 3 cats and I just had to keep them out the room Cookie was in for a few days. I was checking him loads as well so it was easier to have him in the house.
I'm sure that it's best to keep them together because they are bonded - they will both be recuperating at the same time
I can't give you any more advice - Cookie was up and running about like a loony the next day :shock:

thanks so much for your reply, im going to go out and look for a dog crate i could put them in, it would come in handy for bonfire night as well. They can then stay in the kitchen overnight. Im really not keen on splitting them up so im going keep i close eye on them.

aw good luck my baby is getting done tomorrow too. i'll be keeping her in. i've ordered a dog crate for her hopefully it'll be here soon, put her down on a blanket and i've got one those heat teddy's for her to keep her warm. make sure you've got nice fresh herbs and treats for them. this will help them recover. i'm very anxious about her tomorrow. it'll be a slow day in work but hopefully it'll go ok. keep us posted with you two. :love:

just been out and bought 2 of them dog cages for small dogs, so going to split them up but put them next to each other, hope im doing the right thing.

If you separate them you might have to do some rebonding back, so just be ready for that. A car journey or something might be enough. :)

Well done for getting the crates, far better for them to be inside.

I kept my two girlies together throughout their whole spaying experience, so I don't like the idea of splitting them up. Keeping bonded rabbits together through the recovery can help speed up the recovery. Take straw out of the cage, just hay and plenty of newspaper. You can get herbs as treats to tempt them to eat. I did with mine, and I'm sure it helped. My girlies stayed inside for a week, and they got done about this time last year, when it's cold at night. As they are boys, and their operation is not as major, I'd keep them in for at least 3 days, so you know exactly what's going on in their bodies. Good Luck!!

i would try and keep them together if oyu can we hav had endless problems with rebonding chelsea and sooty where as dora and arther and dora and snowy were fine when went together adn recovered together. but if they are next to each other and can smell and snuggle through the bars of crate i guess would be ok good luck xx

Back