• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barney... UPDATE- Hes home - Opinions on dentals?

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Well the story goes...

Today one of dads customers came in harping on they had a bunny and his wife was allergic to it and they needed rid asap. Dad being dad, offered for ME to have it :roll: The man went to fetch the rabbit and in the mean time dad called me to come and fetch the bunny from his work.

I went to collect, all seemed ok apart from a very clear poorly eye, i asked if he had been treated for it and he said no. I dont think its infection... its like white and gloopy. He also isnt eating much :( I know it may be because hes been moved today etc but i just seem to have the impression its his teeth :( Hes 3yrs old.

Mum is keeping him as hers as i dont have any room :( If he was a girly i wouldve had him to go with Ronnie but... well hes a he :lol:

Anyway, heres some pics, not great as hes settling in etc

S7000782.jpg

And the eye, not very clear but...

S7000781.jpg

xXx

Last edited:
:love::love::love:

Good on your mum for having him! Whats his name??

Sending vibes for hie eye xx

Barney :roll:

She'd never turn an animal away... she has a lovely summer house in the back garden :roll: Thinking maybe a new bunny house :lol: Hes come with a 3ft indoor cage

Hes at the vets tomorrow morning, 10.10 *fingers crossed*

:oops::oops::oops: Sorry the title does say Barney! (im tired) :lol:

Good luck at the vets 2moro Barney!!!

Keep us updated Becky xxx

Allergic to it my bottie! I think they've realised he's not well and aren't willing to pay for his treatment. good on your family for taking him on.. let us know how he gets on at the Vets.

Well done for taking him on. Good luck at the vets. Get well vibes for Barney, hes very pretty :love:

Update - hes had to stay at vets

Barney has had to stay at the vets :( His teeth are so bad theyre going to sort them out today as an emergency. Have to ring at 3 to see how he is... shall update later xXx

Barney is home! All seems well... hes bleeding a little still. Apparently his teeth were really bad, the vet said some of them were very rotten near the roots and they just snapped off :( Some had to be removed too as they were growing back up into his gums. Hes still not quite round yet, hes just sitting there.

The vet said we have to keep a close eye etc and if the dentals need doing too often (i.e every 6-8 weeks) he will have to be put to sleep as its cruel... whats everyone elses opinion on this?? :? However, if its less often, (i.e every 5 months plus) the vet is willing to treat him. Would all vets be the same?? It cost us £178 today, but we are willing to pay, money isnt a problem. Got everything crossed here for him.

Having to add water to his Excel pellets so hes able to eat them. Wont do that until this evening though as he isnt even moving yet

xXx

If you are willing to travel to Coventry there is a very good vet there called Rebecca Frost at the Pet Vacs Clinic who does dentals without a GA..less risk to bun and less cost to you..approx £15.
there is no need to consider putting him to sleep:D
Well done for taking him and getting him sorted

Hi, my Homer has his done every month, never a mention about PTS!

In fact my vet is the opposite and says this is a way to "control" them when I told him originally how upset I was and how long did he have left. My problem is that Homer does not eat hay. My vet says his teeth are a lot better than a year ago and now it is more a case of straightening them with the odd small spur.

Homer's dentals are consious, I know there are people for/against this but there is no way he could have a GA every 4-6 weeks. When he has a GA he may only get another week or so before he start showing signs compared to a conscious dental.

Hopefully Barney will eat hay which will help his teeth. Well done on giving him a loving home.

One of my buns needs her molars burring every 2 weeks :shock:, so I just make a fortnightly appointment whether she's showing signs of discomfort or not. She usually has them done conscious, and is fine immediately afterward despite being quite a nervous bun. In our case, the time gap between dentals isn't any different with conscious dentals compared to GA dentals. I certainly wouldn't have her PTS.

Many thanks everyone :) Thats such a relief... was getting rather worried. At least it can be sorted. I did think putting him to sleep was a bit extreme :? He has to go back Monday for a check up. Hes got baytril until then because of the gaps in his mouth :(

Hes a good bun, so the concious dentals wont be a problem, when the vet was looking at his teeth this morning he just sat there on his blanket :) Think im going to have to contact this plumber to find out when his last dental was :evil: :censored: Some people :roll:

One of my buns needs her molars burring every 2 weeks :shock:, I certainly wouldn't have her PTS.

:shock: Hope mine don't become this regular, however there have been occasions when I have had to go back a week or two later. Must admit, Homer is booked in every 4 weeks regardless as I want to limit risk of any damage to tongue or cheeks.

Many thanks everyone :) Thats such a relief... was getting rather worried. At least it can be sorted. I did think putting him to sleep was a bit extreme :? He has to go back Monday for a check up. Hes got baytril until then because of the gaps in his mouth :(

Hes a good bun, so the concious dentals wont be a problem, when the vet was looking at his teeth this morning he just sat there on his blanket :) Think im going to have to contact this plumber to find out when his last dental was :evil: :censored: Some people :roll:

Last dental? You're joking aren't you! Sounds like they have neglected his health to me :evil:

Back