• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good News! I can have another bun!

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
I'm not sure this post is inthe right section :S Sorry if it isn't.

I got Fiver last week but i felt he needed a companion. My O/H point blankly refused to get another bun but she too felt guilty at keeping him on his own and today sugested we get another. I was worried i wouldn't be able to afford 10 rats, 3 snails and 2 rabbits as i'm on JSA but i think i would cope ok. I was planning on putting a tenner away everytime my money came through for emergencies.

I am planning on getting him a 42 inch dog crate big enough to hold a labrador. do you think this will be enough for 2 bunnies? He has a cage at the moment but not big enough for him when he grows and deffo not big enough for 2.

Am i doing the right thing by getting another bun? Money isn't an issue, we get by fine and i think in an emergency there will be the money i put away. Is it worth getting the buns insured or is the excess ridiculous?

Also i just wanted to know if the RSPCA spey the rabbits? and when should i get him a girlfriend? He is only 10 weeks old now and so isn't neutered yet.

Bunnies definately seem happier in pairs so if you can afford another bun I'd go for it.

I have mine insured, it costs about £10 per month per bun, my excess is £60.

About the rspca do you mean do they spey buns for free, or do you mean do rspca spey rescue buns before rehoming?

I don't know the answer to either actually :lol:

If you go to a rescue they will probably have spayed females and take care of bonding for you :D

I think a 42 inch dog crate is ok as long as they aren't locked in it all the time, could you attached a pen to in to give them more room or have them free range for most of the time?

A good rescue will neuter the rabbits before rehoming them. You can also look around and see if any local vets or charities are offering free or reduced-price neutering for Fiver.

If you get housing benefit or council tax benefit the PDSA will provide free vet care for your animals. They will not do this if you're just on JSA.

Rabbits are usually happier in pairs, but you shouldn't take another rabbit on unless you are absolutely certain you can afford it. In particular you need to consider what would happen if you had large vet fees to cope with or if you had to pay a lot of money for something else.

I would probably wait until you've found a job before getting a second bunny.

If you dont have any money to fall back on (and you dont qualify for PDSA help) then I would strongly recommend getting insurance. I dont have insurance, but if I suddenly had to pay £1000 or more to the vets, I could.

Thankyou for replying :) Yes i think i could afford it but i don't think i could afford insurance every month for them both.

The RSPCA i meant do they spey the rabbits before rehoming them :p

Also I'll go to any rescue centres near to me. I only know the RSPCA tbh so anyone who has a rabbit rescue near-by i can take a lovely girly from them :)

Oh they will hardly ever be in! lmao Fiver is out all the time and annoys my O/H constantly haha :D I hate locking him up, it's like a prison :(

I can afford it and i do qualify for the PDSA although i'd prefer to get a good rabbit savvy vet :) I can afford to get Fiver neutered so i don't need reduced prices, he is going to get done at Oaklands as they are a really good vets :) He is also getting his vacs probably some time next week :)

I would only go to the PDSA if an emergency happened out of hours as the consultation fee for after hours vetinary care is £70! FOR A RAT! :shock:

I'd hate to think what it is for a rabbit! Hopefully that won'y happen lol

Last edited:
its near neither!! Its in Cleveland, a whole county on its own!!! Sorry Im from Hartlepool! I always get, well that in county durham grrr

RSPCA Great Ayton Animal Centre
Yarm Lane, Great Ayton, Nr Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS9 6QB
Tel: 01642 724016 /

RSPCA will neuter rabbits at a reduced cost. I got mine done for 21 pounds at my local one. They also neuter rabbits in their care before rehoming. Remember a male rabbit is still fertile for 6-8 weeks after his 'little' op.

I really would go for the insurance, as it can be really costly for rabbit care, esp if it caught myxi, some excesses start at 45 pounds. I think you would be better waiting before you got another rabbit and put the money toward the insurance for one rabbit than have two uninsured rabbits. Your doubling your risk.

Plus you will need to think about what would happen if it all went wrong. where would the new rabbit go?

finally another boro lass!
i want another bun too for binx, but i think i'm going to wait until he's older and when i have some form of income coming in :)

the rspca in great ayton is a really good centre, they do get some rabbits in but not loads cause my boyfriend checked for me but they will help u out with any questions u have about speying/neutering etc

yay boro r us! lmao. I personally hate here lol. Where abouts in boro do you live? of course you don't have to answer that :)

I don't know now about getting another. It's a good idea to wait till i get an income. It will be a while before i'd be able to get him a gf anyway since he is only 9/10 weeks old and needs to be neutered. By that time i may have a job lol.. although unlikely around here :(

If i get an ok job and can easily afford insurance for my bunnies then i will get him a gf. I hope he will be ok on his own for a while. I feel guilty that he has noone to snuggle up with :(

We are getting a hamster from the RSPCA soon. They are a pretty low maintanance animal and don't get many ailments :) plus the RSPCA is over running with them :( poor things.

I will keep an eye out for future gf's for Fiver and when i get a job (this will give me motivation to get one lol) then i'll get him a gf.

Do you think that sounds ok? I'm just very unsure of what to do and need some advice. Sorry for waffling so much.

Plenty of buns live as solo buns, as you aren't working I'm sure you can spent plenty of time with him. I think another bun is the best option for him but I don't think it will do him any harm to wait until you get a job, especially as it sounds like you spoil him :lol:

good :) i do worry about him.. especially when he'sin his cage. for some reason he started bar biting :S yet he has willow sticks, a treat ball, a dog toy, a hammock and a dangly thing with a bell on it to occupy him o_O

I think he's just telling me he wants to have some time out... like he doesn't get enough! lol

I will get another when i get a job :) for deffo! :D

Back