• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do Albino Rabbits need any special care?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

I have been in touch with a lady at a local animal shelter (I didnt know we had one in Leeds:D) and they have a Albino male bunneh who sounds perfect for Lola, same age, breed size etc. They also bond them over a three day period.

Do Albinos need any special care - more than a normal bunny would need? Do they need any sun protection if they are in the garden?

Any albino owners to give me any advice?

Thank you!

Not particularly. They can sometimes have poor eye sight but that doesn't usually impact on their ability to get around.

the rews i have do a lot of scanning they look like they are in a trance, and move there heads slowly up and down and side to side, i found it fasinating to watch, but they are fine though, the ones i have are looooooooverly and are up for adoption :D

I had one who had bad eye problems and needed to be spoken to before I went hear her, but my other two need no more special care than the others (infact my BEWs are more sensitive to the sun than the REWs).

I would just suggest making sure they have plenty of darker areas, but I'm sure they would have anyway :)

I had one who had bad eye problems and needed to be spoken to before I went hear her, but my other two need no more special care than the others (infact my BEWs are more sensitive to the sun than the REWs).

I would just suggest making sure they have plenty of darker areas, but I'm sure they would have anyway :)

If he struggles I am sure Lola will initiate him into the art of "chewing wallpaper, phone chargers and pooing on the bed"!:shock:

I have a REW Crystal, She scans alot and can bump into things that she is not used to being there, so i keep her hutch layout the same And i have to be careful not to go to stroke her to quickly as she wont be expecting it and it can make her jump

Crystal.jpg

I have a REW, Casper from BARC who is fab!! he does scan a fair bit but aslong as he has shade hes ok.

the only thing is would say is that once youve got a rew you will love em forever!!

Im the proud owner of Lucky (though not really sure who owns whom lol) havent noticed anything different in her behaviour to my other 4 buns, shes just as confident & loving as my others, shes a mummy's little girl All I can say is if you've got the chance to have a REW in your life, Go For It

I have 3 albino rabbits, I love them :love:
Their sight is not great so most of them scan to try and focus on things properly. One of mine does not scan and seems to have quite good eye sight :) but the other two do.
Paddy my REW cashmere lop bumps into things and is easily startled because he can only see things when they are really close up, I can't make a noise to let him know I am there either because he is a bit deaf so I just have to aproach him slowly.

They always have plenty of shade but Jack loves sun bathing. He will lie were ever there is a sunny patch :roll: he has never had sun burn though.

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and have just today purchased a REW male called B4 :) He's so adorable!! He's a dwarf lop, actually quite large already as we wanted a juvenile bunny that wasn't quite a baby.

When I can post some pics I will, he's so cute!! :D

i just read this and thought OMG whats happened to Lucy- then realised it was an old thread from before you had her!

I was thinking Lola got sick of Lucy and kicked her out on her fluffy butt :shock:

Last edited:
Back