• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reminder re: Myxi and VHD outbreaks

That's a great thread.

Can I ask how it works. I get that Beebop updates the first post, however, does that mean each new area is just added? As opposed to areas that are clear being removed? That doesn't make sense. Erm, I don't know how to say it.

I guess what I mean is that post is two years old, so some of the places with alerts may not have them anymore?

Great thread though, really worthwhile.

I totally see what you mean! :D

Only Beebop has access to update the thread so all outbreaks need to be sent to her via PM and then she will update the thread.

It might be a good idea to keep the previous 2 years on as then people can see that previous seasons there have been outbreaks.

If you know what I mean? :D

Last edited:
Ha ha, yeh, I know what you mean. Maybe it might be worth finding a way to identify this years outbreaks? Like making it bold or something?

Must say, I'm pleased Suffolk isn't on there, although apparently its rife. Yet to see any evidence of it myself yet though, although I know a few people who lost buns last year.

But yeh, love the thread :) Very helpful.

I shall speak to Beebop and see what she thinks :D

Yes so many buns coming down with myxi at the moment :( Its awful.

That's a great thread.

Can I ask how it works. I get that Beebop updates the first post, however, does that mean each new area is just added? As opposed to areas that are clear being removed? That doesn't make sense. Erm, I don't know how to say it.

I guess what I mean is that post is two years old, so some of the places with alerts may not have them anymore?

Great thread though, really worthwhile.

Myxi could still be in those areas 2 years on Myxi has been here high risk, for 2-3 years now :D

Yeh, I know that, I was just thinking that maybe it might be helpful for people to be able to see what had been identified this year, thats all. :)

Hi, with the way myxi in particular has been spreading what with the wet summers and mild winters these past 2 years I haven't deleted any areas. I did think about deleting them all and starting again this year, but decided against it. I could do that from the next year though but would need a dedicated number of people from each area to keep me updated by keeping in contact with their vets, I can do that for the Belfast area, but we'd need people from all areas to do the same to make it effective, as I'm reluctant to remove places which could still be affected.;)

I understand that, I think that's the best way to do it because that way you are covering all bases, I was just thinking about a way to identify alerts from a particular year. It's not a biggie though, not at all. As it is it's a useful and important tool :)

The thing is though if I start putting different ways of identifying the different years ie * ~ etc then its possible some people may just not vaccinate if they see the disease was in their area 1 or 2 years ago, and its possible that the disease is still rife in those areas, just no one has told me yet the thread states it was there 2 years ago. :?

The thread acts primarily as a prompt to those who are perhaps reluctant or dismissive that their rabbits are at risk as obviously everyone should vaccinate no matter where they are, its also a good warning for those who may walk their dogs in fields where wild rabbits could be infected and pass the fleas (in the case of myxi) or carry the disease back on their clothes (in the case of VHD).:)

Yeh, I know what you're saying, it was just something I was thinking, that's all. Nothing more than that. :)

Yeh, I know what you're saying, it was just something I was thinking, that's all. Nothing more than that. :)

Yeah, I know, I can see where you are coming from, its just that without a lot of committed members uk wide I can't do much!:wave: Its a tricky one!:(

I know. But at the end of the day, you can't do wrong because the post is so useful and informative already :)

My vet asked me yesterday if I had heard of any sudden deaths in rabbits as very recently as he 4 clients yesterday mention to him that their rabbits just died but no one would have pm done.:cry:

My vet asked me yesterday if I had heard of any sudden deaths in rabbits as very recently as he 4 clients yesterday mention to him that their rabbits just died but no one would have pm done.:cry:

that must be awful for the vet having his hands tied like that :(

i wouldnt be able to move on without knowing why.

Back