PDA

View Full Version : VHD in Edinburgh!

Mr Cookie Bun
30-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Just to let folks know that when I phoned my vets today they told me of a confirmed case of an indoor rabbit from a 2-rabbit household in Edinburgh that has died from the disease. There has also been confirmed cases in Dunfermline, Perth and Aberdeenshire. So get them bunnies jabbed! :D

Jack's-Jane
30-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Crikey that is bad news :cry:

Am I wrong or does there appear to be a higher incidence of cases of VHD in Scotland than in the rest of the UK :?

Mr Cookie Bun
30-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I forgot to ask :oops: Can my bun still get it (like myxi) even though he's had the vaccination?

capel
30-09-2008, 03:19 PM
If he's unlucky enough to be bitten by an insect carrying the virus and goes on to develop it , the chances are that he'd develop only the minor form .....nodular myxi from which most vaccinated buns make a full recovery.

Jack's-Jane
30-09-2008, 03:20 PM
I forgot to ask :oops: Can my bun still get it (like myxi) even though he's had the vaccination?

There is always a possibility that a particular Bun will not get an immune response to vaccination. But with the VHD Vaccine the risk is microscopic.
It is made from inactivated calicivirus of viral haemorrhagic disease unlike the Myxi vac which is not derived from the Myxomatosis Virus but from the the Shope Fibroma virus.

Kermit
30-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Ive got kermit booked in for friday.....was toying with the idea of not getting it done because of the cylap limp scenario - after reading this im glad i decided to go for it!

capel
30-09-2008, 04:41 PM
If he's unlucky enough to be bitten by an insect carrying the virus and goes on to develop it , the chances are that he'd develop only the minor form .....nodular myxi from which most vaccinated buns make a full recovery.
OOPS:oops: Senior moment..I should've read your post properly, but I see it's been answered properly by folk who are not yet in the process of losing their marbles:lol::lol:

animal ry
30-09-2008, 04:45 PM
theres been an outbreak of myxi in the south it wass all over the news :shock:

donnamt
30-09-2008, 06:26 PM
can they still get it like they can with myxi? might be a good excuse for no family visits for a while :oops:1