• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD in Edinburgh!

Mr Cookie Bun

Mama Doe
Just to let folks know that when I phoned my vets today they told me of a confirmed case of an indoor rabbit from a 2-rabbit household in Edinburgh that has died from the disease. There has also been confirmed cases in Dunfermline, Perth and Aberdeenshire. So get them bunnies jabbed! :D

Crikey that is bad news :cry:

Am I wrong or does there appear to be a higher incidence of cases of VHD in Scotland than in the rest of the UK :?

If he's unlucky enough to be bitten by an insect carrying the virus and goes on to develop it , the chances are that he'd develop only the minor form .....nodular myxi from which most vaccinated buns make a full recovery.

I forgot to ask :oops: Can my bun still get it (like myxi) even though he's had the vaccination?

There is always a possibility that a particular Bun will not get an immune response to vaccination. But with the VHD Vaccine the risk is microscopic.
It is made from inactivated calicivirus of viral haemorrhagic disease unlike the Myxi vac which is not derived from the Myxomatosis Virus but from the the Shope Fibroma virus.

Ive got kermit booked in for friday.....was toying with the idea of not getting it done because of the cylap limp scenario - after reading this im glad i decided to go for it!

If he's unlucky enough to be bitten by an insect carrying the virus and goes on to develop it , the chances are that he'd develop only the minor form .....nodular myxi from which most vaccinated buns make a full recovery.
OOPS:oops: Senior moment..I should've read your post properly, but I see it's been answered properly by folk who are not yet in the process of losing their marbles:lol::lol:

can they still get it like they can with myxi? might be a good excuse for no family visits for a while :oops:1

Back