• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth burring- advice please.

Plio77

Young Bun
Hi all:wave:
Just wondering if i could get opinions or advise on my boy dizzle.
He's been a poorly boy from the start who came to me at about 5 wks old but he made a great recovery and is truly a great cheeky guy now. He has been neutered 8 wks ago but before and since then i have had him at the vets to have his front teeth which are off line clipped. Over this past 2 weeks however i have noticed a runny left eye which i feared was coming from his teeth and had him back at vets yesterday and now have had it confirmed it is his back teeth which are also off line and have been advised to book him in for them to be burred??
I do not want my boy in pain so naturally i will do anything to help him but my worry is that already he has had an anasthetic and hates the vet from all his teeth visits but i would proceed with the burring- and they also want to flush his tear duct if it will buy him a longer spell away from his traumatic vet visits.
Can anyone explain to me 'burring' and how long he may get before returning for more or is there any other road that anyone would recommend i can take to help my little man.
I know there are people on here who are better than some rabbit vets and really would love an opinion.
Thanks,liz.

As you probably already know, rabbits teeth grow.

When teeth are aligned properly and the rabbit has a good diet, then there shouldn't be any teeth problems, but if the teeth are not aligned properly or the rabbit does not get enough hay then the teeth don't wear down on each other. This means that part of the tooth can still grow and not wear down against the opposing tooth. This is called a spur. They can get long, and unless burred down (which basically means worn down with a tool) they can cause abscesses in the opposing gum and all sorts of problems.

The chances are this is due to his malocclusion and its very unfortunate for your bunny, but he does need it doing, otherwise the long and the short of it is that he will die a slow and painful death from abscesses in his mouth. But it's clear you love your bunny and won't let that happen.

Does that help at all?

Yes thank you that makes the questions in my head less fuzzy:thumb:
He used to be a fantastic hay eater and now is less and less -- even his favourite timothy hay which is probably not helping his teeth.
Well i'll book him in for this week and just have to spoil him rotten when i get him home.
Please send him some lucky vibes-and thanks:)

Chances are he was eating less hay because of the spurs, so when he comes back from having them burred make sure there is lots available. Also you can try different hays because each type of hay wears down different parts of the teeth so it might be worth trying to give him a variety.

Do you know how advanced the spurs are? If they have cut his mouth or tongue, or it has already started to abscess, then he will need pain medication from now until it has been done, and if it is abscessing he will also need strong antibiotics too.

If his front teeth need regular cutting as they are out of line, has the vet suggested having them removed?

If the front teeth don't meet there is a good chance the back ones don't either causing the spurs, however if the front teeth are removed there is a chance that the molars will be able to meet again and you will no longer have problems at the back. Especially if this is still a young bunny. Even if it doesn't help his back teeth at least it will cut down on the number of vet trips he will need to have his teeth burred.

ETA If her needs his tear ducts flushing there is the possibility that his tooth roots are also causing a problem. While he is under his GA it might be worth getting dental x rays done as this will give you a better idea of what you are dealing with.

No im pretty sure this is just the start. The vet had a good feel and said there was no swelling and he doesnt mind you touching his cheeks. I think thats why they want to burr asap so no abcessing happens-hopefully.
Gosh if he was in pain and i didnt know id never forgive myself! He's booked in for fri now so hopefully i will know more then.
Thanks again.

Yes the vet said that you could remove front treeth-this is before i had visit with back teeth problem, but he couldnt guarantee that they would remove completely-mabye he was just covering hiself at the time-.
It makes sense that having them removed would help back ones to wear down alright. He is booked in now for friday so i am taking the day off and will get x-ray done and find out EVERYTHING i can so i get as long as possible for him after this visit and have him as comfortable as possible.
Thanks you sooo much guys.:wave:

Back