• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dusty is 4!!

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Miss Dusty bunny has defied all the odds and reached her 4th birthday (not that I know exactly when that is - she could have been 4 a few months ago - but this is the day originally set for Clover and Dusty's birthdays when I first got them). I'm so thrilled, as I never thought she'd make it. :D She had a very bad day the other day that I thought might be her last, but here she is, live and kicking in her birthday piccies. :)

It's a tough life being a bunny - chilling out:
Dustylayingdown.jpg

Quite close up (sorry about the bad colours on this one!):
Dustyquiteclose.jpg

And finally, looking for mischief - she's not really supposed to be in this room, as you can probably see from her guilty expression:
Dustygonerogue.jpg

Awwww she's just such a sweetie :love: I'm glad she's still doing ok, even if there are a few ups and downs

Happy birthday Dusty :D

Dusty bunny says thank you very much for all the birthday wishes, and sends cuddles. :)

Her story is a bit of a lengthy one, but I'll keep it brief if I can! :D I took on Dusty and her sister Clover when they were approx 18 months old. I had them spayed, and right from a few days after the spay, they were both going into stasis, one after the other (approx 10 days apart). They would then recover, then it would happen again and again. I eventually changed vets, after it going on for 10 months with no explanations or proper investigation, and having investigated every possible dietary cause myself. Then my new vet tested one of them (Dusty I think) for EC, despite neither of them showing the traditional signs. It came back positive, and they both had Panacur.

They both responded incredibly well to Panacur (although needed repeated courses), but the permanent damage from having an active case for so long had taken its toll, and they both gradually went downhill, with Clover affected worse. They also both became house bunnies, as they seemed to do better in a more constant temperature. Whilst I've never had an official diagnosis, I believe that they both had/have the same condition as Jane's Dermot - whatever it is it is certainly permanent. I had to make an awful decision to have Clover PTS in March, and I expected Dusty not to be far behind.

I had just recently finished a 6 week course of Panacur for her, but when she had a very bad day at the end of last week, I started her on the Panacur again - I don't feel I have much to lose at this point!

Dusty is on very borrowed time, a hay only diet, and lots of meds, but she's still enjoying life for now. :love:

Back