• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding new homes for baby rabbits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbiting on

Warren Scout
Hi folks.

I feel a bit stuck here as I need to find homes for some baby rabbits. They are only a week old at the moment but the time will soon come. So what should I do? Where could I find homes for them?

I would keep them all if I could but have 5 already. This is a litter from 2 of my own rabbits, Which I kept as babies as I couldn't give them away.

But these will have to be found new homes for sure.

So where do I start? I dont want to advertise them because I wont know where they will be going or end up . I would like to get them into a rescue maybe because I know they will be found good caring homes.

My other 2 males have been neutered now :D

You could register them on Rabbit Rehome

You could homecheck yourself if you are worried about anyone ending up with them?

If you arent confident to find homes yourself maybe your local rescue would help you find them new homes in exchange for a donation or if you have them spayed/neutered and vaccinated yourself. I would think most rescues have waiting lists and bunnies in desperate need of somewhere to go so it may be a while before you find spaces for your five :)

If you want to get them into rescue you need to phone your local rescues and get on the waiting list now. It will be difficult for a rescue to find space for that many at once so it's important to give advance warning. Also to find out if you have any chance of getting them into rescue - you may find there is no space at all.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have 5 bunns that are mine, Im keeping them. Its the babys I need homes for. I know if they go to rescue its likely they will be picked and the older ones overlooked.

The reason I dont want them to go to just anyone is because the breeding may continue, which I dont want.

It also costs £75 for a male rabbit neuter which I could not pay for all of them, if I could they would be staying here.

So because of my stupidness I have created a load of worry about them. They were not supposed to be here in the first place. Like I said my stupidness.

I just cant bear the thought of them being stuck in a hutch not getting bothered with.

There are 6 babies, one I may be keeping? 2 depending on sex.

I would love to be able to neuter them myself but that would not be possible. Its already cost £75 each for my 3 males and its £80 each for my 2 females. They are due to be dont in October, but not they younger one for obvious reasons.

When they are from a rescue the rescue makes sure they are neutered by their owners right?

No the rescue pays for spays, neuters and vaccinations themselves before they rehome the bunnies

If you want a rescue to take them you seriously should start looking now because I know our local one always has a long list of bunnies to take in

I would love to be able to neuter them myself but that would not be possible. Its already cost £75 each for my 3 males and its £80 each for my 2 females. They are due to be dont in October, but not they younger one for obvious reasons.

When they are from a rescue the rescue makes sure they are neutered by their owners right?[/QUOTE]

I neuter/spey all rabbits before they leave my house, unless the rabbit in question is unable to be operated on eg medical reason etc

Yeah Im going to email a friend, they know someone at the rspca, maybe they could help? I hope so.

I dont know of any other rabbit rescues in the north east.

Yes Starlight thats what I was meaning. I really dont want them to breed, I am totally against it. I also have cats and they have all been neutered/ spayed when the time has come. I dont know what happened with the rabbits!

I just wanna find these little ones good homes. At what age do the rescue rehome them? What age do they take them in?

It will all depend on space. The rescue could potentially take them at 8 weeks (which is the earliest rabbits should leave home) but if they don't have the space they may not be able to take them until much later or may take some eg all the boys and take the girls later. It really depends on what space the rescue has so get in touch asap :)

I know a recue in the North East that with baby bunnies who are too young to neuter, the adoptees are made to sign a neutering pledge, and the rescue checks up on this. Like has already been previously said... they may be full to bursting though.

I know a vet in the North East also that would be a LOAD cheaper to neuter and spay your females/males. You would be taking a huge burden off the rescue by organising this yourself.

Where abouts in the North east are you?

There are a bunch of rescues up here as well as much cheaper vets to get your buns neutered (bun savvy of course) if you need help get in touch.

When they are from a rescue the rescue makes sure they are neutered by their owners right?

I am not being funny here but are you prepared to give the rescue that takes them a decent donation as rescues do neuter and vaccinate before they rehome and 6 babies all to be neutered and vaccinated is a hell of alot of money for a rescue to find as we don't have a bottomless pit of money as some people think we have (it would be great if we had:D):roll:.
I am glad you are getting your others done and sorry that you have had to learn the hard way with accidental breeding.
Good luck with either finding homes or a rescue to take them as alot of us rescues are bursting at the seams right now:D

Is it possible to find an alternative vet near you that may be a bit cheaper?
Before I knew about the staggering number of bunnies in rescue and mated my two housebuns before they were neutered :oops:
Much to our surprise she had a litter of ten :shock: We kept 4 of the babies. 3 girls and 1 boy. I did rehome the other 6.
5 of those were boys and 1 girl.
Unfortunately we did not have the funds to neuter the girl before she found a new home but we did neuter all of the boys before they found homes. (6 total, 1 we kept)
I must admit I did not home check at the time but did interview each owner and they did all send us piccies of them settling in etc. 1 pair of boys who went, their owner kept our details and phoned us last year on their birthdays! :D
Anyway, sorry I'm rambling, Our vets usual charge for neuter is £45, because we booked all 6 in at once they did only charge us £30 for each, very good of them. I just think it could be worth looking around and making enquiries?
I was desperate not to pass on my stupid mistake to a rescue and take up space that could be given to a really needy bun.
If you cannot possibly neuter the babies before you home them and you do have to give them to a rescue I think it would be a good idea to give a donation toward the cost of neutering for each of the baby bunnies?
Good luck x

Perhaps you could raise funds by selling a few things on ebay, I some times do this for treats and things for our buns.

I know at my RSPCA they ask for a donation to cover a significant part of the cost, so that they can fund for the rabbits needs, which I think is only fair.

Is there anyway you could raise any money? Or find a cheaper vet? (I bet the rescue centres would be able to recommend whoever they use, and they will have to be cheaper, but will also have a lot of experience, hopefully).

If you want to do home checks on those adopting bunnies (if you do it yourself), I have been training someone from the RSPCA in what to look for so have a hefty amount of stuff on my computer, so if you want any info, feel free to PM me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back