• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping them warm

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
The buns use thier bedroom as a litter tray!

I fill it with hay but im wasting loads keeping them warm. they are in a shed.

whats the best thing to do to help them keep warm?

xxx

They have their fur to keep them warm. Let them decide where they want to be. Mine never go into their bedrooms to stay warm, they all use it as their toilet area. Even when it snows, they still sit by the door or in the run and their ears never feel cold. When I fill the hutch with hay and straw, they push everything into a corner and sit on the bare wood instead. So I really wouldn't worry too much. The shed will protect them from the worst, anyway. :)

Scarlett is my only bunny who hangs out in her bedroom area, even through winter :shock: If they are in the shed they will be sheltered and will snuggle up in their hay if they get to cold, they wont just sit there and freeze :lol: If your still worried maybe put a smallish cardboard box filled with hay in another part of the hutch or use snugglesafes :) x

I know how you feel, I constantly worry about our buns outside but when it's freezing and I go out, they're all sat in the run, so they musn't be that cold!

Alfie was sat down in the corner of his run last night when I went to bed and he was in the same place at 6am this morning. I'm hoping he went upstairs at some point :lol: but I guess he wouldn't be sitting there if it was too cold for him.

How about mixing in some shredded newspaper with the hay if you're worried. My two were fine last winter, and like others, I'm sure they spent more time not in their cosy bedroom!!

Back