• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OH NO !! Rabbit Meat Back in 'Fashion'....... :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Just been listening to The Food Programme on Radio 4. Apparently next week's programme is going to look at why 'Rabbit Meat is back on the Menu'............

:cry:

:cry: I was searching some Yahoo groups yesterday and came across one specifically for breeders of rabbits for meat - I daren't even look at it just seeing the title made me upset. I've made sure I know what the word is for Rabbit too in the country we are on holiday to so we dont order it by mistake off of a menu.

:shock: Disturbing. Hopefully it's just an attempt by the media to create an "angle" where none exists and/or to revive a flagging industry. I doubt many people would eat rabbit meat; let's hope not... :cry:

This one of my pet peeves :evil:

Apparently people think they're buying wild rabbit because it's called 'game', but even factory farmed rabbit is legally classed as game.

I have no objection to people eating rabbits which would be killed as vermin anyway, but having seen how rabbits are farmed for meat, there is absolutely NO humane way of rearing and killing in large numbers...... Argh! :censored:

ARC are taking part in the BBC Prog 'Kill it, Cook it, Eat it'.......DONT PANIC!! ARC's role is to highlight the very fact that Rabbit Meat is 'Farmed' and also of the dire conditions the Rabbits are often kept in.
The programme is not due to be aired til next January though.

i was brought up on rabbit meat :oops: and venison. My dad is an estate keeper and part of his job is culling deer and rabbit. He wouldnt let the meat go to waste.

:shock::censored::evil::censored:

:? Can you imagine the outrage if a programme were talking about eating dog or cat meat in this country?

I don't see why it's different for rabbits.

Iv actually noticed rabbit on the menu in quite a lot of resturants recently and wondered why it was suddenly everywhere

People are saying with the credit crunch etc it's going back to a more war time menu, i.e. Rabbit. My Grandad on my Mum's side used to keep rabbits for eating. :(

Good luck to anybody with the taste buds to eat farmed rabbit meat. It's vile and no matter how you cook it, it ends up tasteless and manages to be slimy and dry at the same time. EEEEUUUURGH! I could heave thinking about it and that's coming from someone who can't get enough squid!

That's before we even start on the welfare angle.

why is it any different from eating chickens, ducks, pigs, cows, etc? Are rabbits more special or something than them? I hate discrimination against certain animals. :censored:

Can you imagine the outrage if a programme were talking about eating dog or cat meat in this country?

don't see why it's different for rabbits.

Exactly. Why is it any different for other animals?

:shock::censored::evil::censored:

:? Can you imagine the outrage if a programme were talking about eating dog or cat meat in this country?

I don't see why it's different for rabbits.

And what is the difference between a rabbit and a cow? Just because one is kept as a pet and one is purely livestock doesn't mean one has more right to live than the other. :cry:

Obviously I am against all factory farming, so don't eat meat and find it vile that yet another animal is to be intensivly farmed, wish people had to kill their own meat, then they'd be far less factory farming and far less hypocritical meateaters so fewer deaths!:(

why is it any different from eating chickens, ducks, pigs, cows, etc? Are rabbits more special or something than them? I hate discrimination against certain animals. :censored:

Exactly. Why is it any different for other animals?

Its not any different

And what is the difference between a rabbit and a cow? Just because one is kept as a pet and one is purely livestock doesn't mean one has more right to live than the other. :cry:

I don't condone the view that cats, dogs and rabbits have more right to live. I just think that the 'masses' would be more upset at the idea of eating cats and dogs.

I think because we share a love of rabbits (why we're on the forum in the first place) is why we feel disgust at eating rabbits in particular, not in isolation.

To tell the truth, I have two opinions gathered in my mind. They both fight against eachother. I have to disagree with "Cows are farmed just for the meat." I was in 4-H Dairy last year, and along with that, there were beef farmers. You learn to love the cows, no matter how ucky they can get. :lol::)

My mother raised rabbits as a child, and her father hunted them. She cried endlessly when she was forced to eat them her first time. :cry:

I'm never going to eat rabbit. I've seen people skin rabbits on t.v. shows, and thats enough to get my stomache turning. Plus, I find that I have a greater bond with rabbits, than with cows, which is true that rabbits, dogs, and cats, etc, seem to be better pets.

My landlords come to our house during the summer, and live in the basement of thishuge house. The wife, which is really nice, raises rabbits for meat. I expect she does it as humanely as possible. The meat's for her and her husband. It's not a big factory thing. When I asked her if I could get a pet rabbit, she was thrilled with the idea. She snuggled Belle, and gave me great advice on raising her.

Half of my says that we should be aloud to eat whatever we want, if there the source is plentiful. Then, my other half screams out that certain animals are mean't to be comanions, and not the next thing on our plates. It's a very tricky subject.:? :roll:

My OH Nick is a chef, and the restaurant has started service Rabbit terrine. Nick refused to cook it as he said it was against what he believed in. Its the first time he has ever refused to cook a piece of meat. Nicks boss was shocked but undestood how much we love our rabbits.

I was so proud of him.

people in the war needed rabbit meat i had rabbit and found it nice years ago now but i can take it or leave it my friends mother cant get enough of it i do hate my pearents friends jokes about putting my rabbits ina pot and eating them :roll:

I don't condone the view that cats, dogs and rabbits have more right to live. I just think that the 'masses' would be more upset at the idea of eating cats and dogs.

I think because we share a love of rabbits (why we're on the forum in the first place) is why we feel disgust at eating rabbits in particular, not in isolation.

Ah I understand now!:wave:

Ah I understand now!:wave:

:thumb: Good :lol::lol: I don't eat anything that has neighed, moo'd, bleated, oinked, grunted, barked, clucked, hissed, squeaked, meowed, or anything else for that matter, so I know exactly what you mean too :wave:

Back