• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sludgy poos?

Lil_Luci

Mama Doe
When i was cleaning out gizmo's toilet area this morning, i noticed that as well as his normal formed poos, he has sludgy poos underneath, which are a different colour, and look slimy. I'm not sure what caused it, because I havent given him anything new to try for a few days now, unless its just taken this long for it to come through? We've had the builders in recently, who have been in the sideway by his hutch drilling holes through brick, so I'm not sure if maybe its caused by the stress of the noises? Not sure what I should do know though!! HELP!!

:wave: Hi,
It could well be stress but there's also a multitude of other reasons which could have caused it. Identify if it's undigested, mushed up, caecal pellets or if it's his regular poops. Is it just faecal matter or mucous? If it's the latter you should get him up to the vets a.s.a.p because something else may be going on and needs investigating further. keep us posted x

i'm not sure what caecal pellets are supposed to look like, because i've never actually seen him eat any! the only poo's normally in his toilet area are round, firm looking balls :?

They're small, shiny, slightly sticky poops, with a rich brown outer casing & are normally passed together so they're in a clump..they kind of look like those shiny chocolate coated raisins you can get lol. If you squish them they are quite squidgy and have much more of an odour than regular poops. If you're not seeing any then that's prob means he's eating them :) which is a good thing. Occasionally you may see the odd caecotroph lying around, it won't mean anythings wrong, it's perfectly normal. Have you checked his rear, just to make sure he's not got a messy bottom? Sometimes they get stuck to their bottom or their feet cos they sit or tread in them? When you say sludgy, check if they are watery or jellyish? Either one will mean theres a problem & you really should take a trip to the vets. If you've got any doubts, it won't hurt to take him up anyway.:)

we went to the vets this morning, for his myxi booster, and for a hair cut. i tried to describe it over the phone, but obviously didnt make a good job of it, as they asked me to put some in a pot or something! Anyway, the vet said its nothing to worry about, he's just eaten too much veg, so have cut that down a bit now :) Am just off to cheerleading practise, but will post pics of his new haircut when i get back. She also thinks he's a lionhead angora (sp) cross? i have no idea though, i just know he's a little cutie :)

Back