• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

putting mesh under runs

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I am going to have to lay mesh under my runs because theyre going on grass and i dont want them to dig out but I'm worried that it will dig into their feet a little even though there's grass underneath :? what would you do? any tips?

I buy tent pegs, the metal ones with the rounded tops to push the mesh closer to the ground then wait a week or two for the grass to grow a bit :D

You can always dig up the grass (turf style) and put the mesh under that, and then the grass back on top if you are really worried about it.

You can also give the buns some places to get off the grass/mesh so that you know they will be on there by choice.

You can always dig up the grass (turf style) and put the mesh under that, and then the grass back on top if you are really worried about it.

You can also give the buns some places to get off the grass/mesh so that you know they will be on there by choice.

not my house, i dont think they'd be happy wiht me diggin up their lawn :lol: i iwhs i could though

they have some shelters and climby things so hopefully they will provide some relief if necessary :) ta

Ha ha. If you do it in the dead of night they will never know :p

I'm sure your buns will be fine :)

In my run I have a couple of decking slabs held off the ground by a couple bricks. It gives them something different to sit on and also something to hide under if they want :)

I did this, and think it's fine (as has already been said, the grass grows through and you can no longer even see the mesh). I personally wouldn't want a bunny on it all the time though - my run was for occasional use rather than their main one.

Be careful if it's not your house...as soon as the grass grows through you won't be able to get the mesh up without ripping up half the lawn with it...I speak from experience :oops:

Oh God yes, me too! :lol: Plus the mesh was so warped from the force to pull it up, it can never be used again!

i would go with the mesh dig up garden and re lay as turf over top as other wise while the grass is growing throughyou run the risk of sore hocks. or the alternative is again take up the grass as turf then lay slabs re turf over the top with the grass. if you are planning to seed the area with grass seeds i wouldnt let buns hop over it until shoots of grass appear as the grass seeds can get stuck between their paws.

I cant dig, its not my house :(

there is a long and well established lawn there already so if i squidge the mesh down there will be lots of grass sticking through...and its big enough to move it about if the grass gets short

I was so happy to find somewhere with grass for them and now im wishing it had paving :roll::lol:

I cant dig, its not my house :(

there is a long and well established lawn there already so if i squidge the mesh down there will be lots of grass sticking through...and its big enough to move it about if the grass gets short

I was so happy to find somewhere with grass for them and now im wishing it had paving :roll::lol:

no grass is good because it allows them natrual grazing and also is often better for their hocks but are you inrented acccomodation? or staying with parents?

no grass is good because it allows them natrual grazing and also is often better for their hocks but are you inrented acccomodation? or staying with parents?

its rented and the other housemates are already established there and have made a lot of concession to the buns already so I'm unwilling to be digging aswel...althoguh it's just occurred to me, if I stay there a long time I can broach the subject in the future when i better know what they will tolerate, and if I dont stay there, then it won't be an issue :)

I will definitely peg some down for now to see how it goes and then re-evaluate if it seems to be causing problems.

Back