• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Longterm Penecillin?

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Rhia has been on penecillin for ages now, Does anyone know how long its okay to be on it or is it alright to be for a long time? :? Should I be giving probiotic or anything alongside it? Shes on other drugs too, but I've got it in my head that penecillin shouldnt be for longterm use, is that right? X

I think oral antibiotics is dodgy for any length of time. However I have used injectable bicillin for years on one bunny to (sucessfully) keep his teeth abcesses at bay - he never showed any problems apart from a bit of a dislike of me for sticking needles in him:(

Penicillin is also given by injection as it is fatal to buns if given orally...;) Yes, Becki, my vet always recommends Bio-Lapis when any of mine have been on penicillin and also seems to give them a rest from it for a while and then start again when the need arises but maybe Rhia's requirements are different. :?

I have had Buns on it for months. Usually starting off as alternate days, then every three days, then every 5 days, then once a week.
The Bun who's been on it the longest is Sarah and she started on it back in March of this year !!

Giving Rhia a Probiotic would be a good idea.
Maybe the Vet will suggest gradually taking Rhia off the Penicillin at her next review.

You can buy a good probiotic online which in the longterm will be cheaper than buying from the Vets

I'd suggest Biolapis or Fibreplex from the Protexin Range

http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/Small_Animals_Pets.html

What dose of diuretic is she on now?

I didnt think bicillin was available in this country.When maizey first got abscesses i read what a wonder drug this was but It was only available in the USA and that people who had been sent It from friends who live in the states had been prosecuted.

I didnt think bicillin was available in this country.When maizey first got abscesses i read what a wonder drug this was but It was only available in the USA and that people who had been sent It from friends who live in the states had been prosecuted.

It isnt available. Vets can apply for a Special Licence to import it but thus far none have been granted :cry:

Back