• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mini lops

mich

Young Bun
Hello I have had two mini lops for four weeks who were sold to me by a breeder as male brothers. They have had their mixi vaccinations at the vets and he checked the sex of one of them but forgot to do the other and said he would ckeck when I visit again next week. Its just I have noticed them mounting each other - is this normal? Also reading some threads I am concerned they wont get on once they are older, they are 13 weeks at the moment. The breeder assured me she often sold male pairs and I took her at her word.

Hello I have had two mini lops for four weeks who were sold to me by a breeder as male brothers. They have had their mixi vaccinations at the vets and he checked the sex of one of them but forgot to do the other and said he would ckeck when I visit again next week. Its just I have noticed them mounting each other - is this normal? Also reading some threads I am concerned they wont get on once they are older, they are 13 weeks at the moment. The breeder assured me she often sold male pairs and I took her at her word.

It is normal for them to mount eachother especially at this age, however it doesnt mean the other is male. Bucks are hard to keep together but if they are litter mates it can be done, as long as you dont ever seperate them not even to go to the vets and that they are both neutered once mature enough (when they are big enough and when their balls drop!) i have my bucks done at 12 weeks.

There are people on here that have bonded male pairs so its not impossible ...but it would be preferable to get them a girlfriend each after they've been neutered. I don't know what age they are suitable for neuter?
It is also possible to have a bonded group of 4(or more). Bonding is sometimes quite tricky and I would advise you to read up on it in here or ask a local rescue to bond for you.

Yes it is normal for rabbits to mount each other no matter what sex combinations.

You really do need to check the sex of them though-clearly if one is female there is the risk of pregnancy -though I don't know if that could happen at 13weeks sorry.

Hopefully someone more experienced will come on here to tell you more about male baby buns.-Sue:wave:

Back