• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

petal being spayed today, some piccies of her in her babygrow

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
Petal is booked in to get done on thursday. Hoping to take friday off to nurse her. The thing is i know for a fact petal will hoke at ther stitches as she's determined to chew at everything in the house with persistence. so was planning on getting baby grows to put on her and cut a wee hole for her to pee and poo through. has anyone ever used this? any ideas would be good. bought her a dog crate so she can stay in the house with us till she gets her stitches out.

Last edited:
There was a post recently with a bunny wearing a sock jumper - will see if I can find the thread. ;)

You might be okay and not need to do anything. Often the vets 'superglue' them back together so there are no external stitches for them to pick at. Well they did when I had the dog spayed anyway and a rabbit is only like a small dog I suppose. :)

Good luck to Petal!

Last edited:
Should i get my vet to check petals teeth while she's under. she's onyl 6 months old and doubt they'd be much wrong, but is it worth saying to them?

Big day tomorrow then..:) Btw, Poppy had what they call 'buried stitches', might be worth asking the vet about it tomorrow, that way Petal won't have anything much to nibble at, although she will prob still lick the area to sooth herself.

..also, hows Teds poops, is she ok now? Just wondered how she was doing?

Last edited:
yes very anixous about tomorrow and i've order a dog crate for her to stay inside and it hasn't arrived yet. :? Ted poops are a little better still stringy. I've put some cranberry juice in her water but she's still not drinking any more. just the same (about 150ml a day). I've given them some meadow hay as well as the timothy, petal has most of hers polished off but ted would rather sit in it haha she's such a tidy wee thing.

There was someone a few years on here who used a modified babygrow, it looked so cute! I can still see it in my head, it was a little grey and white lop eared bunny. I'd be surprised if that pic is still on here though.

I would ask your vet to check her teeth - it'll only take a couple of seconds and they may as well have a good look while they're there. Is your bunny insured? If so, it's probably worthwhile as the vet can note down on the file that teeth are fine - this may help you in the event of a later insurance claim (they mostly exclude dental work but there are some occasions it is covered if teeth have been checked by a vet recently).

I would also ask about having the stitches buried so that she can't chew them - got to be worth asking.

Good luck, hope it goes well!

aww don't be anxious, hopefully everything will go just fine, I know what you mean though, I fretted too :)

Scratch's poops are pretty small & dark, he's always had a bit of a delicate constitution :) He's been up to the vets twice in the past month, last time he had a bumper injection of fluids following which he pooped all over the town then after a couple of weeks they were back to how they were originally. He's drunk very little daily for a while now and is very thin however when he was weighed his weight is only down a little since his last visit. We think the recent episodes are down to stress from losing his bonded partner and with Poppy getting over her spay he gets bored easily :( , just want to hurry up and bond them. Scratch eats loads of grass, doesn't touch hay but I've just ordered some oxbow and some oxbow cakes so I'm hoping it might prompt him a little. He only drinks his water out of a bowl now and I try to make sure he has plenty of veggies, with as much water content and nutritional value as possible and I always wash them first so theirs still some water droplets on it. The vet said that if he needs to go again then it would be worth them arranging an xray to see if theirs anythng else going on. At the moment it's a bit like walking a tight rope. the good thing is he's not 'unwell', he seems pretty normal & doing normal stuff.

no i don't have them insured. yeah will say to them to give her a quick check over while under. yeah i bought a pack of 5 babby grows yesterday in primark. my mum said for me to put them in my bottom drawer if i don't need them :roll:. well send in pics if i have to use them. going to try one on her tonight.

starting to get really anxious about tomorrow, thought i'd be ok like. Tomorrow will be a really long day in work and i haven't got much to do. so glad i'm taking friday off. Gonna give her the biggest cuddle in the car before i take her in, she probably won't appreciate it. :(

well put the baby grow on her, wasn't impressed. i cut the buttons off so she'll be able to pee. was gonna cut a whole in it but decided not too. o and here's a wee piccie of me and ted
P1000359.jpg

P1000361.jpg

Aww how cute does she look lol. Thats a baby vest isnt it? Where did you cut the hole in it?

Good luck at vets, im sure she will be fine. I will be posting here in a month when dreama gets speyed.

:love:

i ended up just cutting the buttons off i'm hoping it'll just be enough to put her off from chewing on the stitches, she might be alright like but just take precautions.

Hi tednpetal hope ya bunny has gone on ok with her spey let us no how she is please x :wave:

I wouldnt recommend putting the baby grow on when she comes home.. This may irratate the wound more.

Leave her see how she goes and if she starts knawing at them then I would suggest putting it on.

Some rabbits arent fussed, when we got bugsy done, she didnt even lick them :)

Hope that helps, although she looks very cute :)

just phoned vets there, she's still sleepy apparently but she's due another syringe feed at 6 so i've to ring after then, is that normal?

Back