• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spike update

luvabun

Warren Veteran
When my trio went for their myxi jabs just under 3 weeks ago, during the checkup, the Vet noticed that one of Spikes back teeth is significantly bigger than the rest. He weighed him and as he'd lost weight, I'm supposed to be fattening him up prior to his next visit on the 13th when he may need a dental and he's on Metacam daily.

As Spike has to have access to SS pellets ad lib (he can't eat hay as he has no front teeth and his back ones are a mess), I feed him seperately from his pals for a while morning and night and he usually hoovers up the pellets. So when he wouldn't eat them on Friday night, I knew something was wrong. He wasn't interested in the grated carrot and apple neither so I gave him another shot of Metacam and eventually he nibbled some of the veg. I tried to syringe him recovery but he wouldn't take it and as usual, I ended up wearing it :oops:.

So we went to the Vets on Sat morning and it wasn't my usual Vet. I'd taken along a sample of his poos :oops::oops: which were tiny but she said they were small but well formed:oops:. She looked at his teeth and the offending back one is touching the roof of his mouth but hasn't ulcerated it yet so she gave him Metaclopromide and wrote up the notes and my regular Vet will call me today after reading the notes.

Since having the Metaclop, Spike has been back to eating the pellets (magic stuff that).
So I'm anxiously waiting for the Vet to call.... think my boy will be in for a dental :( (he can't have a conscious one as they have to have front teeth to grip onto for that:().

Thanks Steph... I'm pacing up and down waiting for the phone to ring and the Vets aren't even open yet :oops:

Any Vet nurses on here please? I'm wondering what time it's appropriate for me to phone the Vet as he hasn't called me yet (bearing in mind I know he's on his own today).

It's not as critical as it seemed on Saturday as Spike is eating at the mo but I really want to speak to the Vet.

I would suspect the Vet will be doing consults until about now then maybe ops. Hopefully he'll call you very soon :)
Some Ranitidine might be a good idea if he's on Metacam daily as if his tum is more empty than normal the Metacam is more likely to cause GI Ulceration which will in turn slow his guts down and stop him wanting to eat.

I hope Spike is back to full munching power soon

Thanks Jane... what's Ranatidine? I'll feel a plonker askign for something that I don't know what it's for :oops:

Lots of vibes Jill, any news yet?
No :( I phoned and told the receptionist that I would be out between 2 and 3 and she said she'd make a note of that. In the words of Diana Ross ... I'm still waiting :( ... it's a good job Spike is eating otherwise I'd be absolutely livid.

Back