• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits and guinea pigs

nursecroft

Wise Old Thumper
I went to Haskins the other day and was horrified to see guinea pigs in with rabbits!! I asked to speak to the manager, he said he's never had any probs and that they were only there for a short time, i explained why they ahouldnt be kept together and that he was advertising it was ok! He siad he would speak to the rspca for advice and seperate them if they advised against it. Are there any rules for shops? I didnt think there were at the mo regarding this :?

I think they will find that the RSPCA don't recommend this set up. You are right, it makes people think that it is ok. Good on you for tackling them.

I went to Haskins the other day and was horrified to see guinea pigs in with rabbits!! I asked to speak to the manager, he said he's never had any probs and that they were only there for a short time, i explained why they ahouldnt be kept together and that he was advertising it was ok! He siad he would speak to the rspca for advice and seperate them if they advised against it. Are there any rules for shops? I didnt think there were at the mo regarding this :?

There is no official ruling against it. Many of your smaller pet stores still do it.

There is no official ruling against it. Many of your smaller pet stores still do it.

Under the Pet Animals Act 1951 and the codes of guidance adhered to by the local environmental health departments and I quote from the Broadland District Council Codes on a licence to keep a pet shop.....

6.0 Health , disease and acclimatisation.

6.7 All reasonable precautions must be taken to prevent the outbreak and the spread of disease........

Re rabbits and guinea pigs.... they should be kept apart in order to prevent the spread of bordatella which can be pathenogenic to guinea pigs whilst rabbits frequently show little or no signs.

All pet shops know this and on raising this issue with our own local environmental health department this was confirmed and we were informed that this would be seen a significant breach of the rules with regards their licence......So now you know who to complain to and quote.

It also says at 6.4 that " All animals must receive appropriate inoculations where required for the species, as advised by the veterinary surgeon. veterinary advice must be sought whenever necessary"......but then all our wonderfull pet shops ignore this one as I doubt there is not a single vet up and down the country that would not advise the myxo vaccine from 6 wks for rabbits let alone hvd in the form of lapinject that can be given from a similar age.

Ahhhh....pet shops ...law unto themselves.

Alan.

Back