• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i don't think my bun likes me

MammaH

Alpha Buck
I've only had binx since the beginning of sept this year and i've been trying my best to bond with him but i really don't think he likes me :cry:

I've left clothes on the floor for him to get a familiar sent from them of me and then I've been letting him out of his cage every time i'm in my room and i've been lying on my bean bag ignoring him so that he comes to me and i've taken all your advice on board but nothing!

he's not scared of me as he'll come sniff me, but everytime I slowly put my hand to his nose so that he can smell me he runs away! and he never stays to be stroked he just shoots off...
and picking him up is an absolute no-go he hates it. He wriggles and kicks and gets out of my grasp because obviously I don't want to cling to him and hurt him.

I don't know what to do I've tried everything! and I'll be taking him to the vets soon to get neutered and vaccinated in october, but i want to be able to pick him up and put him on the table :(

rabbit lovers PLEASE HELP!!!

Lots of Rabbits dont like being picked up im afraid....when i got to the vets with kermit, i use a towel to lift him into his carry box, then the vet mainly examines him in the box.

As far as being affectionate, most folk say that a neutered bunny is much more placid and easy going, so your bunny hugs will probably come with time.

Oh - and what a cutie the wee guy is!!

Have you tried hand feeding him? Frank lets me touch him now without running off as long as I have a dandelion leaf or spring greens in my hand.

Rabbits aren't that keen on being picked up as a rule. Do you have a pet carrier to get him to the vets in? If so, leave it on the floor with the door open and put tasty treats in there so he ventures in every day. Don't try and shut him in for now. With a bit of luck he'll walk right in when you need to take him to the vets. Well, it worked with Frank anyway.

Sophie refuses to be picked up so don't let that bother you too much.

Give it time, sounds like you are doing all the right things, I agree with the hand feeding, when you are sitting on the floor have some treats/pellets and when he comes over let him eat out of your hand.

How long is he coming out of his cage for? It could be that if he hasn't had enough running time, he will be too interested in his surroundings and won't want to interact when there are more interesting things he could be doing! Sophie is like that, when she has been out for a while and had a play - she will come for a fuss then :)

Alfie doesn't mind being picked up at home, but at the vets he turns into a right wriggler so definitely don't worry about taking him to the vets because of it - they're used to dealing with it. ;)

I agree with the hand feeding, you might find that he snatches the food and runs away at first but keep up with it and he'll soon be more comfortable. Maybe he's worried that you're going to try to pick him up when you touch him? If you can let him out of his cage, and get him away again, without having to pick him up that might build his confidence too.

Back