• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question and penicillin injections - Polo

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Just wondering if it is bad for bunnies tummies, as my Polo hasnt been right with her food since she had the amoxicillin injection (betamox).

Is there a chance she could stop eating if she was on depocillin injections?

Thanks in advance

Depocillin is classed as a 'high risk' abx re gut dysbiosis. But sometimes it is a risk that has to be taken.

You could ask your Vet about Polo also having prophylactic QUESTRAN (Cholestyramine). This is a medication that can help bind up the 'bad' gut bacteria, preventing them adhering to the gut wall and causing enteritis

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

I have had numerous Rabbits on Depocillin and only one developed problems (Bobbie) But had she not been given Depocillin she would have died of Pneumonia. The Questran plus agressive IV fluids got her through the enteritis.
IM(unqualified)O giving Polo Depocillin is a risk I'd take. I always give it by IM injection.

I have a dilemma now, as she seemed just fine before she was given the injection, she was eating normally. But her eating seemed to decrease since the injection was given. She is eating, just not as much as she usually would.

If the vet thinks her breathing is bad then I think i will definately opt for the Depocillin injections. However if her breathing is OK, I dont think I should risk giving her the Depocillin, unless of course my vet thinks I should. Does this sound reasonable?? I suppose it all depends on how her lungs/chest sounds doesnt it?

What on earth is that article saying Jane?!?! Can you put it into lay-person terms?! :lol:

Okay, you mention penicillin on the subject, then you talk about depocillin. I don't know the difference between penicillin vs. depocillin. So I can only tell you my own experience:

penicillin G is what my vet use, they are safe to use if it is injected under the skin, ie., CANNOT FEED ORALLY

When I give Bernie penicillin G under the skin, he has the same problem. His diet dropped quite a bit, but slowly go back up in about 2 days.

w/ Pen G, I notice the needle they pre-measure and gave me is not big enough, so I ask them to swap me the ones w/ bigger gauge. Because w/ smaller gauge, whether apply to human or animal, the white liquid is so thick that it jams at the hole, in the end, it's useless. With the needle
hole bigger, the liquid goes in nicely.

Also, another trick is if you are giving Pen G which is from the fridge, make sure you let it warm up for 15 min. before inject inside her skin. One of the tech. taught me this trick as it's too cold to go inside the skin, the bun doesn't feel comfy.

The absolute best spot is the loose skin just behind the neck. See diagram

needle9sq.jpg

What on earth is that article saying Jane?!?! Can you put it into lay-person terms?! :lol:

what Jane is saying: Cholestyramine BINDS w/ bad bacteria, and as such it can flush the bad bacteria out of the Polo's system

However, a side effect of the above is Cholestyramine "can dehydrate intestinal contents if not given with plenty of liquid."

So you need to give Sub - Q (see diagram above) about 3 to 4 times / 24 hr. Do Not give the entire 150 ml in 1 load, it's useless. Just give 50 ml per 6 to 8 hr. REmember it's only water, so it's no biggie

Back