• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit changing colour, winter coat?

Lynne18

Warren Scout
My eldest rabbit is about 10 months old. She is starting to change colour:? She was quite patchy, a reddish colour with dark spots, she is turning a gorgeous fawn colour. Could this be her winter coat? She also feels fluffier.:love:

Yes, they get a thicker coat in winter:D

Drake turns darker brown, but you can't really notice in Josh.

Jack x

Yeh, they can change colour in the winter. It's so lovely to see the transformation, I think.

Bunnies don't completely change their color like hares do, but they can look a bit different for each moult. Might be that they've gotten sunbleached over the summer, and when they moult the bleached fur falls of, leaving behind their "natural" colors once again.
Also many markings change as the rabbit gets older.
Zakura is a nice example of this:
Zakura4.jpg

Baby Zakura
Stareofthebeast.jpg

Zakura today. Quite much darker in color.

Sasuke can look very different in summer and winter, depending on how much time he spends in the sun.
Timetogetup.jpg

Sasuke in the winter
Guttenibingen.jpg

Sasuke in autumn. Mid-moult. The golden-brown fur is how he looked like last summer.

Aroma's changed a lot during her life.
Bilde024.jpg

Baby Aroma, taken by her breeder.
Letseatthecurtains.jpg

When I first got her, at three months of age.
Fineroma.jpg

Adult.
This_is_my_lunch_by_Usagi_Zakura.jpg

And now...moulting season has began. :roll:

Back