• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying bonded girls

Lynne18

Warren Scout
Two of my girls are being spayed on Tuesday. They are part of a group of 5 girls. They have taken to lying together so I guess they are fairly comfortable with each other. My plan is to keep them in the downstairs toilet for a few days, together. Is this ok or should I keep them seperated?

Any other tips fpr looking after my girls after a spay?

When i had my previous foster bunnies (2 girls) spayed they were fine :) Id say to keep them warm on vetbed and keep them inside for a few days. Get plenty of their favourite veg in to tempt then to eat :D As long as theyre fine together (which i guess they are if theyve been living together with others) id keep them together :) Hope they get on ok, bless them! xXx

:wave: Are the other 3 already spayed? If not, how old are they?

It's definitely really important to keep them together as much as possible as it is possible for them to lose their bond quite quickly - especially as the two who have been to the vets will smell a bit 'odd'. It's even more important if the others are mature buns but not yet spayed. Normally I'd suggest taking bonded groups to the vets together but I'm not sure if it would work with 5!

In any case, I would definitely keep them indoors, all together, for the next couple of days. Offer a bowl for water (although with 5 bunnies you might be constantly refilling it and mopping the floor!) as post-op bunnies often find it easier to drink from a bowl. They are unlikely to want to eat that evening but encouraging them to drink will help a lot, and hopefully they will be starting to munch away overnight and by morning. When you pick them up after the surgery, ask what time the operation was done - and if they are not eating again 24 hours after this time, I would ring up and arrange to take them back and the vet will probably give them some painkiller/gut stimulant.

Good luck, hope everything goes to plan :)

Thabks for the reply Alison. The other girls are too young to be spayed as they are under 4 months. The two getting spayed are the dominant girls ans Ronnie is the mother of the other three. How long should I keep them in for? The downstairs loo is fairly small, so as the others are young is it essential to bring them all in. I really want to make this as smooth and comfortable as possible so will do whatever is best for my girls.:)

The only thing is with taking the 2 out to be neutered is they may not be welcomed back into the group etc and you may need to re-bond :? Im so glad i dont have a group of 5 with regards to things like this :roll: :lol:

Do you not have an indoor cage/dog crate or anything?? You'll put the lid down on the toilet wont ya?? :oops: have images of bunnies jumping down the loo :oops:

I normally keep my bunnies in until the post op check, so normally about 2-3 days :) Its very important for the first 24 hours as they cant regulate their own temps after the op xXx

:lol: Thats good news!! :oops: Lots of good luck for them... let us know how they get on, shall be thinking of them xXx

Back