• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im in need of a shove in the right direction.

Keyzzee

Warren Scout
Im in a bit of dilemma, I have four buns, two boys and two girls. The boys have been neutered but its now time to get the girls done, my problem is that Im petrified, back in April another of my rabbits died following complications during his operation and I just cant bear to lose another one. I know if I dont get them done that Im playing russian roulette with their health, and I could never forgive myself if they got cancer because I was too frightened to act, but my blood runs cold everytime I think about it. Losing Smudge was just the worst thing ever. Has anyone had a similar experience, or advice etc.

Im so sorry about Smudge :cry:

I think when it comes to spays we hear about the ones that have gone wrong and dont think about all the ones that have been fine :) I was terrified when both my girls went in but they were fine, you are going to worry about them but thats normal

My advice would be to find a rabbit savvy vet :) Im sure someone on here will live close enough to you to recommend a brilliant vet

Good luck and let us know how it goes x

Do not be afraid to be assertive about which vet you want to do the op and ask details about when it will be done what kind of gas and aftercare (like painkillers, type of stitches etc) the buns will receive. This way you can make sure that the buns are getting the best most up to date treatment.

You are not alone though I think most of us have a near panic attack at the thought of our buns and surgery, couple that with the fact that it is partially elective and the bad experience you have had and it is gonna be a little traumatic for you.

Many thanks for you replys, I note Duracell that you recommend that I ask about gas and painkillers etc, what are the best ones that I should be looking out for and the ones I should say no to.

What post op complications were they?

I lost some buns due to vet error and even after changing vets I am still scared that they will hash it up (although so far they have been nothing by excellent).

It might be worth you doing all you can your end to know the best things to use to tempt your buns, what hays, treats, what you can add to water to make them more inclined to drink it, syringe training so you can give them meds without stressing them (if that need arises).

If you get a spay done whilst they are healthy, then the risks are minimal. If, however, you don't get it done and they then get cancer (which is a very likely possibility) they will then have to be spayed in a fragile state and are more likely to struggle with the anaesthetic and less likely to pull through. I know you already know that in your heart, but sometimes it helps to be told it too.

When I picked Smudge up from the vets following his op, he was panting a bit and the vets said that he had suffered from some form of bleed in his chest, they summised that it was a burst blood vessel, but they said that he would be ok, took him home, but he gradually got worse, took him back to the vets about an hour later they put him in an oxygen tent, although he did make some improvement during the night, sadly he passed over to rainbow bridge early the following morning. The vet asked if I wanted a post mortem, and I just couldnt face it, I thought that his poor little body had gone through enough. Two of his brothers, and his dad have had the operation and suffered no problems, so I dont think it is anything hereditary, but tutti the lady bun who Im stressing over is his mum. My bunnies are my babies, they are never far from my thoughts, and I just want to do the right thing for them.

Back