• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

heartbreaking decision ......millie is being put to sleep

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
a bunny who has warmed a few hearts, has such a sad story to tell, crossed many hurdles and now has another problem to try and get through, an operation that is going to cost in excess of £200 and I thought that giving her the op will sort it out, but now my vets are saying not to do it as it can cause all sorts of complications and now is time to say goodbye,she,s not rehomable even tho she,ll have a forever home with me,
i just dont know what to do for the best :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
a bunny who has warmed a few hearts, has such a sad story to tell, crossed many hurdles and now has another problem to try and get through, an operation that is going to cost in excess of £200 and I thought that giving her the op will sort it out, but now my vets are saying not to do it as it can cause all sorts of complications and now is time to say goodbye,she,s not rehomable even tho she,ll have a forever home with me,
i just dont know what to do for the best :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh no! I don't know what to suggest sorry. What sort of problems did they say it would cause?

I'm sorry you are faced with this decision.

Try not to make any decisions instantly (unless the rabbit is in obvious need), take some time to think it through and look at all the options.

Your heart will probably know what to do, and it might be surgery (are the vets willing to do it?), it might be to keep her happy for as long as possible, it could be almost anything.

Do you want to talk to us more about the situation? like in more details with more specifics about the problem the bun has and the different options?

What are her uurent complications? What is the op? And what complications does your vet think it will cause?
Maybe other peeps on here might have experienceed something similar with their buns so could help with advice or experience?
Poor bunny, I hope it works out for the best for her x

millie, her story is on fundraising, she has a prolapsed rectum, at the vets at 11am I will be bringing her home with me today but my vets are suggesting letting her go, as the operation is a complicated one till i see the vet i dont know how complicated:cry::cry::cry:

Ow:( I am so sorry to hear this news ,poor little Millie. Life can be so unfair sometimes.I hope it all works out for the best. Fingers are crssed.

Having done some research on prolapsed rectums in animals, they certainly can operate. If she isn't in pain, could your vet contact Bristol Vet Hospital tomorrow and see if they have experience in their small animal hospital of performing coloplexy. It also does depend on how weak she is and whether she could last to get to Bristol as an emergency.

There are various reasons for it from straining because of constipation,giving birth, to internal parasites and cancer, so it would be difficult to know what caused it.

If the vet is not experienced at the procedure then I would not go ahead with it. I also would weigh up how much pain she is in and whether she can wait until tomorrow to call Bristol. I know you try everything for your bunnies Caroline and if she needs you now to make the final decision to let her go, only you can.

I have put a link up for feline prolapse and anatomically it might be the same as comparaing humans with elephants, but I thought it gives an overview of the condition - although accepting that they are different creatures.
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/prolapse.html

Gosh what an absolutely awful decision to have to make. I think the particular problem with rabbits as opposed to cats and other animals in this situation will be that the intestines/bowel are incredibly friable so to operate in that sort of region carries an extremely high risk of tearing. Also adhesions are very likely and those can cause long term pain and stasis. Sooo difficult to know what to do, I do hope you are able to have a good chat with your vet and get enough knowledge to be able to make the right decision. Big hugs xxx

I think the particular problem with rabbits as opposed to cats and other animals in this situation will be that the intestines/bowel are incredibly friable so to operate in that sort of region carries an extremely high risk of tearing. Also adhesions are very likely and those can cause long term pain and stasis.

I agree. The op' would involve going into the abdomen and possibly removing some of the GI tract
I would only want a very Bunny Savvy Vet to attempt such a proceedure. Infact I am not really sure I would even agree to it then.

I agree. The op' would involve going into the abdomen and possibly removing some of the GI tract
I would only want a very Bunny Savvy Vet to attempt such a proceedure. Infact I am not really sure I would even agree to it then.

I just googled it in rabbits and it doesn't seem to have a good outcome unfortunately :cry:

So sorry your faced with such a decision.
Thinking of you.
Im sure you will do what you feel is best.

xx

at 11 am this morning millie went back to the vets and he showed me how to push her rectum back in, he discussed the operation that was mentioned by raine and he has advised against this because it is such a major operation for a little bunny, so that is on hold for the minute, he has said they can put sutures in for a few days to hold everything in place whilst the inflamation goes down,its called purse string sutures so tomorrow this will be done which should help millie be more comfortable
If this doesnt work then im faced with
1- find a rabbit savy vet who has done the operation and have it done at the risk of losing milly anyway
2- keep popping everything back when she prolapses
3- have her put to sleep
milly is such an affectionate and happy little bunny who has been through so much,
The fact that milly is permanent doesnt come into it im just so lost as to what to do for the best for her,
ive asked for pain relief for her and was told she doesnt need it:cry::cry:
her operation tomorrow to have the sutures put in is £65 so im going to still do the smash a hutch sponsor to help fund it

will keep this updated on how she is

Oh bless you and Millie. I hope it turns out that she has more time with you yet. Lots of vibes for her x x

Back