• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi Vacc - Two week delay until effective

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
I know there is a two week period before the vacc becomes effective - should I limit what my rabbit does to try and safeguard her from flying insects? What I mean is, is she safer on concrete in her hutch/run or should I not worry and let her out and run around the grass? I know there are lots of flies and stuff out on the grass as it is warmer at the moment.

I tend to just practice keeping them safe generally, so, for example, making sure the hutch/run is clean, making sure the bunny is clean, things like that. They won't attract the flies generally, if they are clean. However, that's not to say it can't happen because it still does. Fleas are also a carrier of myxi and can pass it on to buns.

I don't treat my buns any differently if they are not covered by myxi, because really its no different because they can still get myxi with the vaccination (just a different form) so you always have to keep them as safe as possible.

I would just say go with your gut and do what you think is best.

I have mosquito net stapled to my runs for protection when they are locked in, however a lot of the time they are free range.

is this just a 6 month booster? if it is I'd say usual precautions. If this is her first ever vacc, I wouldn't put her outside for 2 weeks, personally, thats my vets advice too.

ok, so its fleas and mosquitoes etc that you really don't want. she should still be a bit immune just not fully until 2 weeks. Maybe keep her on concrete? I'm not too sure. Could you chuck and old net curtain over her run/hutch to reduce what can get near to her?

Back