• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Perforated bowel.... How??

Last Wednesday I had to put my bun to sleep. He had suddenly come on sick with a very high temp, pain and lethargy. The vet had a look at him and suggested xrays as she could feel a lump (which was very tender). The xrays revealed that it wasn't cancerous but more likely a perforated bowel. The vet also suggested it may be an abcess but more likely the bowel. How on earth did the bunny get a perforated bowel???!

A couple of days before he got ill..... :cry:
http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4104521&l=c5a84&id=670865343
http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4104523&l=fef5b&id=670865343

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

There are numerous possible causes of a perforated bowel including an obstruction, abscessation, external trauma from accident/predator attack.

Sadly a Bun is very unlikely to survive should the bowel perforate

:cry:

He had no predators other than his feline friend Emma who liked to sit on him and wash him..... so I would suspect then it was an impaction? I do have an orchid who's leaf was half eaten around the time he got sick. I never saw him actually eat it and he was supervised while out of his cage and it could have been eaten outside by something else. BUT it was the sort of crunchy house plant leaf that he loved to sneak a few bites from if I was momentarily out of sight! Ciuld that cause an impaction?

Back