• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

car rides?

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
hi, as i have never bonded any rabbits before, but i have seen it mentioned in several posts, i was just curious - what is the aim/benefit of taking the to-be-bonded bunnies on a car ride? does it help them bond or just distract them from the fighting? don't most rabbits find travelling stressful? i am in no way doubting the usefulness or validity of the technique, just wondering what it does?!

I don't have any bonding experience, but I think it's a bit of both. I have read in previous posts that because the car journeys make the rabbits a little cautious and scared, they prefer company of other rabbits and so cuddle up to be scared together.

I think it stops them fighting because when they're in uncharted waters (the car lol) they have bigger fish to fry than to fight with each other, and hopefully helps the whole bonding process.

Someone experienced will be able to give you a bit more info tho

Generally the rabbits huddle together because it is stressful and so get comfort from each other. Even my buns who don't find it stressful travelling will sit and cuddle up with other buns. It can just get them used to the company and the feel of the other bun and also hopefully allow them to see the other bun as safe for looking after them while they were scared.

Back