• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Insurance - advice please!

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

Can anyone recommend who they use for Rabbit Insurance for vet fees etc?

Thank you!

I think petplan offer the best cover because it includes dental problems (if you get a yearly dental check).

You might prefer some of the others though. Some people use exotic direct.

Kermit is with pet plan, they just paid me out about £360 for his EC illness.....so glad i got him insured!

I just took out insurance with petplan for Katy (aged 3) on Friday. Homer is 5 so wouldn't insure him :roll:. £9.66 for 10 months (first 2 months are free). Excess was £50

Cat, I have some recommend a friend vouchers for Petplan where you can get the first 2 months free. I'll give you it when we go get the bunsters if you like?

Or I can post it to you if you PM me your address then you can do it sooner - although I don't know if you want to wiat until you have 2 bunnies then do it?

How much excess are people paying? I cant download the PDF file to read it.

I would prefer more so she is covered for dentals etc.

My excess is £50 - not sure whether he is covered for dentals - I am going to ask when I call to add Twombly to the policy cos Gregory looks as if he's going to need dentals frequently.

M excess is £50 - they won't cover for pre-existing conditions and put an exemption on the policy for 12 months and then you need to get a vet to fax over that your bun has not had any further episodes. Eg. Katy had blockage last Christmas Day so she will not be covered until the end of the year for any GI problems she may get.

I hope it's better than dog insurance. I ended up opening a bank account for my two dogs as I couldn't insure one for love nor money (shar-pei and considered a bad risk) and they wanted £400 a year for the other one because he has mastiff in his name! My previous two shar-pei never went to the vets other than for stuff that cost less than the excess and spaying and dental treatment which aren't covered anyway.

I'm torn between insuring Frank or just putting the premium money in the dog's account.

Hi there i'm new and was looking into petplan for insurance, you've all just put my mind at rest, i will go with them thanks.

I use petplan - excess is £45. I pay £31.31 for my four buns. It covers dentals only if the buns have an annual teeth check.

If you do get a quote, always ask if that is the best that they can do because when I did that they gave me two months free and dropped my excess by a fiver.

Mine are all insured with Pet Plan and I pay about a £10 per month for each of the 4 buns. Excess is £50 a claim and they've always been great about settling claims. Definitely get them insured though - mine would have cost an absolute bomb if I hadn't!!!! :roll:

I've just started looking into insurance..kind of just bumbled along & paid for things as and when needed till now, but having lost one to g.i a few weeks back & his bonded partner of five and a half yrs having needed treatment several times recently for tummy trouble I'm starting to regret not having jumped sooner. Thankfully one of my vets has a fantastic plan for their regular care, mixi jabs, teeth check etc but I need to hunt out some good insurance cover. Hoping to find a life time plan for Scratch & Poppy, unfortunately Pet Plan's out the question cos of the 5 year clause which is a bit of a bummer.

I know it sounds awful, but I was also going to hunt around for some kind of payment plan ..in case the worst ever happens. When Cocoa died it was so sudden, it knocked me for six. I wasn't expecting it and I didn't feel at all prepared. I hated having to put my baby in a shoe box..although I made it really snug & it was pink [didn't have a blue one :(]! I would have liked to have had him collected from home & cremated. Unfortunately we get so caught up with their total care and wellbeing while they're with us it's easy to overlook how we're going to care for them when they leave us.

Last edited:
Both mine are with Petplan mine is 17.34 for both of them Dentals included cos they had no problems with their teeth, and mine is 50pound excess x:)

I'm Petplan too :)

£8.70 per month as there was 10% off the yearly permium (with £25 cashback through Quidco;)) and £50.00 excess.

I've just had a thought actually (and to save me raking all the documents out!!), do they cover for having to go to the emergency vet?

Back