• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Health emergency is it myxomatosis?

silverfox

Warren Scout
I went out today to feed my rabbits their daily food. I have a baby that is about 9-10 weeks old, he was lay on his side - thinking that he had died I panicked anyway we noticed that he was still breathing but flacid. His eyes were bloodied. We rushed him to the vets within 30mins and they said they dont know what is wrong with him. I have left him over night and have been told that he has a 50/50 chance of living. I had another rabbit in with him who we removed straight away he is back in his indoor cage so we can keep an eye on him, he seems to be fine.

Does anyone know what this is as the vets did'nt. They said he was'nt dehydrated, passed normal poo as it had stuck to him and he wee'd on the table, but he was not moving much and his eyes worried me.

I have only had him for 1 1/2 weeks.

Last edited:
Hope your bunny is OK. Sorry I don't know what it is either. Hopefully the vets will be able to do tests and find out while your bunny is there.

I was wondering if it was myxomatosis, I have just seen a picture on another website. I have 4 other rabbits I'm worried for.

I cant answer as I dont know - just wanted to bump this up and wish bunny lots of positive hugs and kisses x x

Vets phoned this morning, they told me that Johnny had got worse during the night. Vets said it was a viral infection (in other words they don't know) and that he needed to be put to sleep. I could'nt stand to know he was in so much pain.

I have been told to keep an eye on the others and the one he shares his hutch with has now come inside where I can watch him better. He seems fine.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

They were supposed to of been nuetered last week, the vets said that I had to wait a few weeks before vacinations. They are now going to be going ASAP.

I think it is important to get them vaccinated asap as there seems to be quite a lot of myxi around at the moment. The VHD should be given 2 weeks after the myxi.

It was because of the vets that it was'nt done yet. I took them for nuetering and they said that they could'nt nueter them and give them injections that they had to be done seperatly. I am just waiting for an appointment to take them in.

The vet confirmed that Johnny did not have myxo.

i'm so sorry :( That must have beenso awful. He will be at the rainbow bridge now hopping about and eating his fave food.

I hope your doing ok and that your other bunnies are not too sad and are fit and healthy.

A lot of vets would say floppy bunny syndrome - they don't know in other words. We've had bunnies go like that before. Normally we would give them fluids and try them with food. We have syringe fed them before, some recover fully, others slip away. It's always heartbreaking.

Colin

It doesn't sound like myxi. Myxi takes a long time to progress and you wouldn't see collapse that quickly. Rabbits can appear quite well for days despite having nodules or swollen eyes.

It could be a virus like your vets, VHD is a possibility but there are others. If it was VHD I would have expected you to have lost the rabbit he was in with already as it's so contagious.

I would take precautions such as not handling different groups of rabbits without cleaning in between. Don't swap bottles, bowls, cleaning equipment etc between pens and use veterinary grade disinfectant in the pen before putting his partner back outside.

Tam

I went out today to feed my rabbits their daily food. I have a baby that is about 9-10 weeks old, he was lay on his side - thinking that he had died I panicked anyway we noticed that he was still breathing but flacid. His eyes were bloodied. We rushed him to the vets within 30mins and they said they dont know what is wrong with him. I have left him over night and have been told that he has a 50/50 chance of living. I had another rabbit in with him who we removed straight away he is back in his indoor cage so we can keep an eye on him, he seems to be fine.

Does anyone know what this is as the vets did'nt. They said he was'nt dehydrated, passed normal poo as it had stuck to him and he wee'd on the table, but he was not moving much and his eyes worried me.

I have only had him for 1 1/2 weeks.

Hi,
that is no way myxomatosis as i have had a rabbit that got myxy.
it affects the eyes by making them very swollen and watery not a very nice thing at all, myxy affects the brain and head. ur rabbit dosn't sound like it has myxy but possibly an infection maybe caused by the bedding or floor coverings.

well i Hope that ur bun gets well soon and u find out what is wrong with him pls let me know :)
1 more thing if ur bun is not eating or drinking u can try critical care formular which gives them there appetite back and rehydrates them and u can get this frm any good pet shop but quiet expensive 9 pounds

Last edited:
Back