• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny problems

v.valy

Young Bun
The man from whom we bought him was keaping him outside in the sun in a bag with a grill on the top and with some wilted weed (not even grass). You could not even imagine it. He was very skinny, but now he looks more normal. This happened at the begining of august(very hot outside). I can't describe how afraid he was and how much took him to get used to us. Even now he still has times when he gets frightened, but he's much more gentle, if i could say that, than the female. The single bad thing that he has is that he's agressive about food. I think it's because he was unfed that he's so agressive and he would eat anything and anytime. He is more used to me, but if somebody else tries to give him food he will jump to bite or scratch him/her and he even growls.
A couple of times when was very hot ouside(and ofcourse in his cage too) and when we took him to the vet in a small cage we saw that he wets himself all the way till his eyes and under his chin. The same vet that did surgery on both of them (spayed, neuter) didn't said anything when we asked him if it's normal to have a wet nose. We believed that it was because of the heat and lack of air. One day we saw him in his cage that he wets himself all the way till his eyes and under his chin. We wiped his face well and after some houres he began to sneeze, to snort, wheeze and he kept his mouth open. We put him on a towel in a better place and we wiped his nose from time to time. In the morning he was feeling a lot better. We searched the internet and read a book about rabbit diseases and we came to the conclusion that is pasteurella. We went to the vet, explained him everything and he told us that "This is not pasteurella" but an allergy. We would have loved to know why he sad that but we can't get anything out from him. He gave us for the bunny some Vitamine C with some antiinflammatory(i don't know if this is how you say it). When we made him the shot he almost didn't have anything anymore. Since then nothing hapened anymore maybe because the weather chanced(it's a little cold), we didn't took him to the vet(a lot of stress for him) or maybe not.
What do you think. Could it be Pasteurella? I saw that Baytril is the best for pasteurella. If i give him Baytril and he does not have pasteurell could this harm him? If someone knows could you tell me what kind(injectable,oral in water, tablets,2.27%, 5%, 10%) and how much for how many days.

I have a little problem with the female too. Yesterday i saw that she has some shells on her back skin. Not on her whole back, but only on a small place. The fur didn't fall off and the skin is not swollen or red. Could it be dermatomycosis? If i give her something for this and she does not have it could this harm her? I read that i could give her one of this:
Clotrimozol(Canesten)
Enikomazol(Inaverol)
Griseofulvin(Licuden M)
Ketokonazol(Nizoral)
Are good or is something else better? For how many days and how many times on a day? I'd be very happy if someone knows.

Well done you for rescuing these poor buns.

It could very easily be heat stress

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=27899&forum_id=10

I looked for info on this forum, but couldn't find any.

I wouldn't advise giving meds unless you are prescribed them by a vet. Rabbit savvy vets are hard to find and I imagine its even harder where you are. Are there any other vets nearby? Do you think your vet would be willing to learn from you or anyone else?

I'm not sure what could be wrong with the girl. Can you put pictures up? It could be something simple like the boy is doing it, or it could be mites, or some sort of internal problem, or she is plucking herself, or anything really, so we can't really say what it is, sorry.

I managed to take a photo, but my camera it's not so good so the photo is blur.
I have another question. She has those blue spots on her skin. Are they normal? They only look like this on chinchillas? Because the male doesn't have them. I notice that when the fur starts growing you can see those blue spots. Am i right? She has those blue spots on her whole back.

CIMG20022.jpg

hi

Firstly it sounds like "stress" he has a phobia of being locked in confined space if possible leave carrier so he can explore it anytime and then it isn't just the nasty carrier for vets, put treats in etc!
Stress causes Pasturella, now anything can trigger this and off. All bunnies have Pasturella its a bacteria in the nose. When worried i.e vets (or in our case too much excitement) the bacteria multiplies very rapidly, causing sneezing, wheezing and runny eyes etc. This in its self isn't a problem keep them un-stressed and in the warm as what you dont want is continous sneezing as this is called 'snuffles' and is a kind of human flu it affects the respitory system and can kill them if untreated!
As for runny eye if its only when going in pet carrier its worry so try the above.
Food aggresssion try 2 bowls and when you put 1 in take other out feed twice a day rather than once and dont put bowl in same place as then hell know where to pounce. Try getting other people to hold a treat something which he really likes come down to his level and dont tower over him let him come to them for the treat leave his bowl with food in so he knows its their and your not after that but he should learn that other people are nice to and have 'yum yums'
Girl the blue patches are normal its fur growth colouring however the patchy skin may just be dry skin but keep eye on it, if its on back and neck and looks circular then may be a 'ringworm' and needs treatment as it is contagious to both us and buns. Although harmless just itchy. Sorry cant really see pic very good. Probably just dry skin though esp if been molting lately

Sounds like you've done a good thing - lucky bun! I had a rabbit with pasteurella most of his life. In his case it never got too bad although he always had a wet nose. I did treat him with baytril orally a few times and within a few days the pasteurella went away. When I stopped giving him baytril the pastuerella came back agian within a few days. So there seemed little point treating him especially as baytril, as an antibiotic, might cause problems so I don't think you can give it long term. If he can breathe OK then maybe it is not necessary to treat him as I don't think it can be actually cured.

Thanks for your answers.
He doesn't have any signs of pasteurella from the last time. Maybe it was just stress and i hope so. So is better to not give him baytril?

I went today with the female to the vet. She said the blue spots are indeed the fur that is growing, but she did't exactly knew what the shells on her skin were. She said that it's not a big problem and we shoud wait a little since the fur is growing.

I have a new question.
I heard that the male after the neuter surgery won't do naughty things again, they won't "mate" but I heard the other part of the storry too(that they will still do). Which is true? I'm asking this because I started to let them meet since two days ago and he wanted to do naughty things with her and I was afraid that the vet didn't do the surgery well.:D
I'm very glad that they get along with each other because i heard that chances are rare that they get along from the begining. She likes to lay down with him, but he keeps jumping all over the place.

A male can still impregnate a female for 6-7 weeks after a neuter so should be kept away from any unspayed females for 7-8 weeks.

Even then he may still hump because the humping is also used to assert dominance over the other bun, so it can still happen, and is ok as long as the other bun tolerates it. Likewise, the other bun might mount him if s/he wants to be dominant.

Thank you.
I'm not worried because she was spayed too, but i did't know which to belive and i was afraid that the vet didn't do his job well.
Thank you again. :D

Back