• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ADVICE PLEASE!! - Large solid lump in abdomen

Lea - Molly's mum

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

When we went to pick Molly up from being bonded to Alfie (AKA. Tommy) last night, Jane said she thought Molly had E.cuniculi as she seems to be incontinent which has led to sore hocks.

We took her to the vets this morning and when the vet examined her stomach he found a large solid mass. He said it was likely to be a very large tumour (too big to do anything with) or impacted guts. SHe has been spayed and is only 3 (and had a check-up 6 months ago when she had her jabs) so he thought the tumour was unlikely BUT he couldn't break down the lump which he said he would have been able to do if it was impacted guts.

He has given us some liquid parafin to give to her twice a day and we have to go back on Monday to see if the lump has softened any. If not then it might mean an X-ray - but even then he emphasized the point that they might not be able to do anyhthing even with thex-ray info.

She isn't off her food (actually she is a VERY greedy girl), still cleans herself and acts normally - which he couldn't believe given how big the lump is.

Any advice anyone? Has anyone experienced something similar? We don't know what to do.

Thank you.
Lea.

I'm surprised she is still eating if it is an impacted gut. Is she still pooing?

If it is an impacted gut she will need lots of fluids to try to rehydrate the blockage to get it moving. She should really be on a drip in the vets if this is the case.
In the meantime syringe lots of cooled boiled water and pineapple juice works well too.

It does seem funny but good that she seems so well in herself. I hope you get to the bottom of it shortly

Hugo - She is still eating, pooing, weeing and drinking as normal but we will keep an eye on her fluids and syringe if necessary.

Jack's-Jane - she was spayed as soon as she was old enough, so over 2 years ago.

We are at a loss. :cry:

I had a guy that had a huge mass in his abdomen. I can't offer you much hope because my guy was 9. We chose not to do anything other than make him comfortable and happy and help him along when his body was too ravaged.

He too was eating, drinking, pooing and weeing and the life and soul.

If it turns out to be something that they can't help you with, then you have choices. She doesn't have to be put to sleep immediately, you can take her home, keep her pain free and allow her a marvellous time and then choose when to have her put to sleep. There is obviously the option of surgery, although if the problem is terminal then you need to think about what is in the best interests of the rabbit, as well as you.

My PM box is open if you ever want a chat about this. I really feel for you and hope that the situation isn't as dire as you think.

I had a guy that had a huge mass in his abdomen. I can't offer you much hope because my guy was 9. We chose not to do anything other than make him comfortable and happy and help him along when his body was too ravaged.

He too was eating, drinking, pooing and weeing and the life and soul.

If it turns out to be something that they can't help you with, then you have choices. She doesn't have to be put to sleep immediately, you can take her home, keep her pain free and allow her a marvellous time and then choose when to have her put to sleep. There is obviously the option of surgery, although if the problem is terminal then you need to think about what is in the best interests of the rabbit, as well as you.

My PM box is open if you ever want a chat about this. I really feel for you and hope that the situation isn't as dire as you think.

Thanks Sky-O,you must know exactly how we are feeling. We are trying to keep positive - espically seen as Molly is so sensitive to our moods and I'm convinced she is not in pain. Sha has just bonded to Alfie which we've been told she wouldn't have done if she was feeling bad, I'm really glad we did this because as I type this she's asleep and Alfie has wrapped himself around her.

I think we are going to ring the rabbit clinic in Bristol on Monday - see if they have any ideas before we take her back to the vets to be re-assesed.

Jane has suggested it might be a cyst or abscess as these can cause swelling but no pain - anyone got any thoughts?

Lea. x

It does sound like she is not feeling too bad, which is a good thing.

When my guy got ill he still wanted to chase and play with a girlfriend (she was spayed, he was not neutered), so it is possible for them to do these things whilst feeling bad.

To give you some hope, this was him when he was ill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJb_4Fu7y7U It appears they have removed the sound from that, it was originally to 'its my life' by Bon Jovi. There are others under that account too about Sweep that show more about him, if you're interested. (edit, I feel stupid, I had no volume! Duh, so there is music on it still). (editted again to add that there is some very dubious bunny care, such as giving a mix of food, but by this time we knew he was terminal and were giving him whatever it took to keep the weight on and stuff).

You can tell he didn't feel too bad. We didn't go very far with investigations into his, but his was non painful and the vet said it felt part cystic part tumour and was attached to his bowels in some way.

Last edited:
Back