• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny isn't quite right

lauraocal

Warren Scout
Since yesterday morning my bunny hasn't been quite right.
She has hidden away all night.. not even apearing for our nightly tickle, as she does every single night.
She hasn't eaten much at all, although she is drinking the same amount as usual.
She seems ok to look at, except she is acting very nervous, she wont let me touch her, even going to bite me today when i started to stroke her.
I'm beginning to get very worried about her and would like some advice.
Her poo is normal size, although its gone dark.. the odd ones seem to be strung together too.
She isn't doing as much poo as usual either..?:cry:

It sounds as though her tummy may be uncomfortable. Poo strung together with fur is indicative of the GI tract slowing down.
Being prey animals Rabbits hide pain and illness well and may only exhibit aggression as a sign of pain.

Tummy problems are often a secondary symptom of another health issue such as the Buns teeth having sharp spurs causing discomfort. I would take your Bunny to a Vet as its always better to err on the side of caution.

Good luck

:)

Totally agree with Jane. I always air on the side of caution if one of my buns are not their "usual" self and take them to the vet to get checked over, especially if eating less and poops have changed.

the last couple of times my bunnies havent been 'quite right' its turned out to be stasis. I think as owners we just know. Get your bunny checked over - its just not worth it :roll:

I once asked my vet if he thought I was paranoid becasue I took him my rabbits almost immediately I detect something wrong. He reckoned I was right to act immediately becasue people tend to leave it too long. Being prey animals they hide their pain so by the time us humans notice then there probably really is a problem. I am never wrong when I whizz a bun to him although sometimes it is not as serious as I think

no..none..i just got back from work and im more worried than ever
She is sat on my knee breathing really fast..hasn't touched her food..I cant drive and dont have a vet near..closest one is 5 mile away?
Is there anything i can check myself..anything at all? a vet is next to impossible tonight..i have no money and no transport..do i have any options at all anyone?

Oh I'm sorry to hear she's no better. I would think the best thing would be to get her to a vet if poss. but until then try and encouarge her to eat something and have a drink.

She has never liked being picked up but she really isnt liking it at mo.
I've been looking at her poo.. its a nice golden colour..nice size too.
I have got her some new grasses to eat recently..it was a sample selection of 7 different grasses..she has been eating alot more hay than usual..so maybe this is why she not had any food?
Also she drinking the usual amount?
I'm lost and afraid.. i really don't know what to do here

Things you can monitor: heart rate (put your hand firmly under the rib cage, not always easy but can be felt - but not if you are panicking too!), respiration rate (count breaths for 15 seconds then x4 for per min), temperature if you have a suitable thermometer (and bun isnt struggling), gneral condition - lethargic, dilated pupils, timid, reacts to light/touch/sound etc. If you cant get to a vet yourself they should have a 24 hour phone line for advice. if you give this basic information it may help them to decide how urgent the case is. Is there anyone that can take you to the vets in the morning? does you vet have an animal taxi/ambulance? i would definately take her in asap. Dont give her any food, restrict her space to somewhere quiet and comfy where she cant hide incase you need to pick her up. hope that helps.

My little bunny had some fur giving it a poorly tummy.
As her poo was all linked up and small I was advised by phone (lifesaver) to keep an eye on her poo and to brush her as often as possible to help her when she grooms herself.
Sorry I took a while in replying, And thankyou for your advice!

Back