• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honest Opinions Please

Bellikinz

Warren Scout
Okay, I'm a 12 year old girl, and I own a wonderful bun. I've read lots of articles, and posts about how kids shouldn't own rabbits. As said above, I am kid. I feel extremly guilty at times, wondering if I should find a better home for Morgan. I try to get on here everyday to read more about rabbits, and care for her better. I'm pretty educated on this species, and am commited to owning her. I'd like to bond her to some day, but before I do, or even think about that, I need to know. Should I own her? I'm serious when it comes to raising animals, and certainly don't fool around. All honest opinions are great. I know that all of the people on here know whats best
for a young, healthy bun. All comments are appreciated
Anna

I've had rabbits all my life and when I was 12 my parents got me 3 rabbits of my own. Course the rest of the family played with them and stuff but they were basically mine. I'm now 16 and have 2 rabbits (2 of the 3 I got when I was 12) + tons of other pets. I don't think it matters how old a pet owner is, I think all that matters is how well they take care of them. Generally, kids shouldn't own pets if the parents aren't helping take care of them and the parents aren't willing to take care of them if the kid gets bored of them.

I think William has it right there :) Your age doesn't mean your a bad owner :) It sounds like you're doing all the right things to be be a really good responsible one.

The problem with children and rabbits occurs when parents give children a rabbit like it's just any other toy and not one that you have to look after for years. Then the child gets bored and the rabbit ends up neglected and unwanted.

It sounds like thats not an issue in your situation as you obviously really care about your rabbits welfare. Obviously at 12 your going to need some support from your parents eg paying for food or getting to the vet but hopefully you have that sorted :)

Tam

I agree with the others! I do however suspect that the majority of 'children' your age aren't as committed as you are sadly, and that is why the parents must want the pets too and be prepared to take over their care if needed.

Okay, I'm a 12 year old girl, and I own a wonderful bun. I've read lots of articles, and posts about how kids shouldn't own rabbits. As said above, I am kid. I feel extremly guilty at times, wondering if I should find a better home for Morgan. I try to get on here everyday to read more about rabbits, and care for her better. I'm pretty educated on this species, and am commited to owning her. I'd like to bond her to some day, but before I do, or even think about that, I need to know. Should I own her? I'm serious when it comes to raising animals, and certainly don't fool around. All honest opinions are great. I know that all of the people on here know whats best
for a young, healthy bun. All comments are appreciated
Anna

I think the fact that you are posting this means you care deeply for your rabbit - if you didnt care you would not be asking x x x

Rabbits are bad children's pets.

You're not a child. In a year, or less, you'll be a teenager; a child is someone who would need help to look after an animal - and I mean help to remember to feed it and clean it out; help noticing whether it's ill or not.

You're proved you're not a child by asking this, and I doubt you could find Morgan a better home than she has right now.

I also agree with the others - the main reasons that it is said that rabbits are bad pets for children are because children often don't understand the needs of a rabbit (e.g. nice and quiet, not liking being picked up etc), and because children get bored too easily and the rabbit ends up getting neglected - stuffed in a small cage and left alone, without veterinary treatment, adequate cleaning, diet or exercise. I guess the other thing is whether parents are responsible too - e.g. children can't drive their pet to the vets when it is poorly, so it also relies on parents accepting that they will have to do this and pay for it.

It doesn't sound as if that applies to you and you sound a very responsible owner. I got my first two rabbits when I was 11 and I'm 34 now and still keeping rabbits...so I think you either get bored or you get hooked :D

You sound as if you're doing a great job!

Hi :wave:

Being young doesn't make you a bad owner. The main reason why people on here don't like children to take on rabbits is because the children lose interest and then the parents don't take over and care for the rabbits, so the rabbits suffer. As long as you continue to care for them then I don't think anyone would suggest that you should give them up :)

One thing I would ask however, is have you made plans for if your pets need treatment by a vet? Will your parents pay or do you have some kind of savings? Vet treatment can be very expensive :shock: so it's definately something to think about. Some peoples parents might not understand why a rabbit is worth spending the money on, so if they would refuse to pay for £100 of treatment then you will want to have some kind of plan before it happens :) You could also consider getting your bunny insured, it usually costs around £9 / month for each rabbit.

It sounds like your bunny has a good home :)

I had pets at 12 and I was a bad owner, but that wasn't because of my age, it was because I was so immature and didn't take people's advice on board. Now I have told my self to stop being so stupid and take people's advice when they give me it and be thankful for it :D
3 years on and I feel (and I hope otehr do too) that I have become a better owner :D

You certainly don't seem immature to me :lol: you sound like a very responsible caring person and your bun is lucky to have you :D

There are a few young rabbit owners on here :D

Some people will buy rabbits for children of 8 or 9 and then expect the child to look after the rabbit properly, and when the child gets bored and would rather play with their toys than clean out a hutch in the rain in the middle of winter the parents will decide they cant be bothered with the rabbit anymore because they dont want to look after it either :( I think its situations like this that cause people to say that children shouldnt own rabbits

I think you sound like a wonderful bunny owner :D You must be learning loads and if you have the support of your parents then thats even better x

Oh, thanks guys (and girls)! I feel much better knowing the really concerns about children and rabbits.:) I'll continue on with being her mum, and hopefully she'll succesfully find a new husbun. :D

My parents pay for her bedding, food, and any other basic supplies. I buy her all of her toys and play items with my allowence. I'm saving up to buy her a larger cage. I'll ask my mother today, but I'm sure if Morgan ever needed medical attention, my mom would help out with the costs. My mom loves rabbits, and had them at my age. She fully supports me. My dad isn't as fond of them. He's bound to have his admiring moments when he see's my bun standing up on her hind legs, or comming to greet him.

About insurance. I'm not sure if we have that here in Canada. Its a possiblity that I'll look into, but I'd like to know more about it. By the way, I've looked on the internet quite a bit, but can't find the equivalent of one dollar, to one pound. Does anyone know where I could find out?:)

Back