• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How would you define a rescue?

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Im only asking as i was talking to somene the other day who may be fostering for a woman i know of.

The woman in question is a breeder, and boards rabbits. But is apparently a rescue as well.

Now she takes in rabbits for free, and then asks money for them, with an "adoption paper" im unsure what this states.

She does not vaccinate, does not neuter/spey, does not homecheck or have minimum requirements. So surely she is but a pet shop?

I enquired before about her boarding, and she said my two pairs would be fine in 4ft hutches there as long as they got 3 hours exercise a day :shock:

Someone who once brought a bunny to me said the woman in question, offered to take the bun off her on the understanding she could breed from her before she rehomed her as a rescue bun :shock:

So how on earth can that be a rescue?

Thats what i was trying to explain to this woman..

Apparently this "rescue" has the certificates/qualifications to rescue and run a boarding...

I said "there is no such thing for either"

Apparently as she works with the RSPCA she is approved..
Im not being funny, but how can she prove that? And ive heard of Rspca putting buns in places unfit to be called rescues, as it "is space" as such.

RSPCA doesn't 'approve' rescues. All they do is visit if your reported (sometimes if you invite them) and say your not doing anything we are going to take action against you for.

Tamsin

The "rescue" I got Meredith from also takes bunnies in from the RSPCA and that place is awful. I know I should have reported them but couldn't see the point if the RSPCA visit there regularly.

It does seem like they are not always fussy where bunnies are taken, but at the end of the day unfortunately they do need to find a space for an at risk bun and sometimes even "bad rescues" are better than the conditions the bunny was in the first place :(

Yes ive said all of the above to her, yet she was adamant that she was a good registered rescue :(

I said the fact she "sold" the bun with a sheet of paper proves it, but i dont know what she said to her when she was there, people make up all sorts of stories if they want you to believe they are good people.

Instead of trying to persuade this lady of the negatives with the other "rescue" can't you persuade her to foster for you instead so at least she is helping a good rescue? :D

She was going to be, i was just sorting out a contract for fostering, but i dont want my buns at risk if she is to be fostering for her as well.

Apparently as she works with the RSPCA she is approved..

I have come across a similar thing before, I wrote to the RSPCA branch & head office asking them to investigate and as a result they removed all the rabbits from the premises. If you have concerns I would suggest you do the same - I can help you draft a suitable letter if you like? Of course what they do does depend on what the situation is but I do have a proactive Essex contact. Is it anywhere I might know?

PM me if I might be able to help :D

I have come across a similar thing before, I wrote to the RSPCA branch & head office asking them to investigate and as a result they removed all the rabbits from the premises. If you have concerns I would suggest you do the same - I can help you draft a suitable letter if you like? Of course what they do does depend on what the situation is but I do have a proactive Essex contact. Is it anywhere I might know?

PM me if I might be able to help :D

That would be great if you could draft me a letter Alison :)

Why not go in and pretend to be interested in adopting a bun

Sneaky ;)

Email me some details - what you've been told, what your concerns are etc and I'll try and put something together over the weekend.

Back