• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

better hutch or not?

xShellx

Alpha Buck
I have Thistle Hall inside which my 2 buns use as a shelter inside a 13 by 8 foot dog run. Twice this week the ladder has colasped. I think pepper is to big for it hes currently 5kgs and still growing.

Im thinking about geting a 5 by 2 by 2 hutch on one level to use as a shelter. They would never be shut inside but they can sit in there if they choose.

Looking on ebay I have seen this hutch item no 360092332017 which is 2 level and was thing about keeping my piggies in the top bit and removing the centre devide in the bottm one for the rabbits would this work?

Is it worth changing or will it make little difference?

Thanks SHell

I have Thistle Hall inside which my 2 buns use as a shelter inside a 13 by 8 foot dog run. Twice this week the ladder has colasped. I think pepper is to big for it hes currently 5kgs and still growing.

Im thinking about geting a 5 by 2 by 2 hutch on one level to use as a shelter. They would never be shut inside but they can sit in there if they choose.

Looking on ebay I have seen this hutch item no 360092332017 which is 2 level and was thing about keeping my piggies in the top bit and removing the centre devide in the bottm one for the rabbits would this work?

Is it worth changing or will it make little difference?

Thanks SHell

Hi:D

Judging from his eight, I am guessing Pepper is a Giant?

If so, I would consider, getting a 6ft+ hutch, or even a small shed, just so they can use it as a shelter or bed or whatever:)

Giants would find it hard to get up/down a ladder due to their size.

Hope you find the perfect home soon:D x

Jack x

I would recommend getting the biggest hutch you can afford. There are times when 24 hour access to a run isn't possible...for instance a long period of bad weather, bonfire night, etc.

I am amazed your giant can manage in thistle hall, I had it for my two dwarf buns a while back and it wasn't that huge for them. I would go for a 6x2 or what about a playhouse inside your run?

I would recommend getting the biggest hutch you can afford. There are times when 24 hour access to a run isn't possible...for instance a long period of bad weather, bonfire night, etc.

Hi, they are in the dog run in all weather as it has a roof. Just wondered if a 5 by 2 by 2 would be better for a shelter than thistle hall with 2 levels.

Hi, they are in the dog run in all weather as it has a roof. Just wondered if a 5 by 2 by 2 would be better for a shelter than thistle hall with 2 levels.

You might be surprised at how wet even a covered run can get. Slabs/concrete aren't too bad, but grass can be a nightmare in winter, and if the ground gets waterlogged, buns need to be kept in to prevent sore hocks.

It is not just a shelter though, it is their home/base/bedroom/eating area and they will probably want to spend many hours in there so it should be as big as you can manage. My bunnies are free range in the garden all day but will choose to lie in their hutch for hours at a time.

want to avoid another pah hutch as they ont last,

is ebay item no 360092332017 much good? THough the piggies would love the top as they are in a small hutch a t m.

Back