• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC treatment

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
as many of you know mowgli is being treated for EC with lapizole, vet said 28days last day today, i had to give him 4 squirts a day, im sure she said the bottle would run out but there still bit in it, some people suggested doing him for 6weeks instead and now with it being day 28 im not sure if i should continue or not?

what do others recommened?

lisa

I would recommend continuing.....6 weeks is the general length of treatment most people on here recommend.

My kermit was treated for EC, he had panacur for 6 weeks

There seems to be so much debate over EC treatment, 9days, 28days, 6 weeks.....i suppose better safe than sorry, and if you have extra treatment there its not going to do any harm!

How is the wee guy anyways, does he have any remaining EC symptoms?

Yes I would also suggest keeping it up for about 6 weeks. There has never been any adverse side effects reported for treating for longer like that. It seems a safe medicine.

I would also suggest treating a few times a year - Rolo has twice shown the beginnings of EC again despite the 6 weeks of Panacur and bleaching of surfaces! I think sometimes some bunnies just keep getting it and you have to just keep an eye out and start treating again. If you treat a few times a year you should keep it at bay nicely!

Good luck!

thanks my vet said to treat him 4 times a year with panacur, he is fine he has cateract in both eyes he is totally blind in one but the other has stablied and not got worse

lisa

My vet said that no-one really knows how long a course of Panacur is really required, and that 28 days was pretty much pulled from a hat to experiment with. I've read some stuff online that talks about 6 weeks being the life cycle of the spore but, as others have said, I've had to do quite a few courses of it.

My bun had EC last year, we were told 28 days but I ended up doing doing it until I ran out - my view is that it doesn't harm the bun and thankfully for mine it doesn't stress them for me to give it to them either so its worth being safe. When they have their regular doses - which are supposed to be 9 days I just do those til the tube runs out too which ends up being about 14 days. Perhaps I am overly cautious! :shock:

Back