• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gregory update - my baby has lost a quarter of his bodyweight in a week!

Went to the vet about the fleas; that is what they were and she has prescribed Advantage which I'll get tomorrow - in the meantime I have used flea spray all over my flat.

Glad I went though, as she weighed him and he has gone from 2.1kg to 1.58kg in the last week since his neutering op! I feel so awful! I was trying to do the best by him by trying to get him to eat hay so not upping the number of pellets I was giving him. He has been eating everything fine apart from the hay!

So, she has given me some Metacam as it may be due to pain in his mouth (he had spurs on his molars sorted out while under GA last week) - this may also have been the cause of the excessive drinking which started a few weeks ago, therefore she was thankfully able to add metacam and teh consultancy fee to my insurance claim.

I also have to up the number of pellets as I must get the weight back on him. I feel dreadful for my poor baby.

awwww gregory really isnt a happy bunny is he.... if it was me id be hand feeding pellets 24hrs aday until hes better poor little soul

big hugs to you too hun xxxxxx

Poor Gregory. Is he nibbling hay at all yet?

I've just been told that Rudy has put weight on after his last dental (2months) ... I've fallen soft at the begging face and given him too many pellets :oops::oops: I need to be firmer with him (and myself).

Nope, still not even a nibble of the hay! He's currently tucking into a humungous Spring Green leaf... and I've been hand feeding him Science Selective - about 6 pellets every half hr or so since I got home from work!

Oh no, that's a lot of weight for a little bunny to lose! Porridge oats are good to get a bunny to put on a bit of weight, as is banana. It's important to only give a small amount though as you don't want to upset their tum. I would add a teaspoon of porridge oats soaked in warm water water, to his daily diet (they usually love them and will scoff it straight off the spoon or saucer!) When my little Santa got down to 690g :shock: I did this and then squished a little slice of banana into it and she put the weight back on well. Just make sure that you don't change the rest of their diet at the same time as upset tums can be just as bad. Good luck, hope the little lad is ok xxx

So, she has given me some Metacam as it may be due to pain in his mouth (he had spurs on his molars sorted out while under GA last week) - also this may have been the cause of the excessive drinking which started a few weeks ago, therefore she was thankfully able to add metacam and teh consultancy fee to my insurance claim.

I also have to up the number of pellets as I must get the weight back on him. I feel dreadful for my poor baby.

This could most likely explain his recent peeing problems too :)

sooty didn't touch hay at all for about a week after his spay....It does sometimes happen. They seem to like veg best, the pellets and then hay when they've had a spay. Don't worry too much, just get the weight back on him and then go back to feeding your normal pellets. He will start to eat hay again, especially if he's been given some medicam & you'll find a hay that he likes eventually. Have you tried Excel superforage & or a handful of readigrass scattered in his hay. You can take some of my readigrass home with you when you come to collect twombly along with the DFH. Twombly loves readigrass, although she's not allowed to much.

Thank you - I've got a giant bag full of readigrass cos he loved it when we got the sample packs from the hay experts, now barely touches it! Got Orchard grass, which again he loved, got aromatic hay which we are going to try soon cos it sounds yummy to me!

The vet has given me some hay cakes to try but he won't touch those either!

So, SS it is in an attemot to regain the weight! To be honest, he is going to hav edental probs for the rest of his life anyway poor fella, so may just be something to deal with. Glad Twombles likes readigrass - she'll love it here! (apart from the fact we're flea ridden of course!)

My school is currently infested with fleas - 5 children in my class have been bitten, one jumoed off a book another teacher was marking in Year 5, the other Year 5 teacher had bites all over her back. The caretaker has got 3 litres of 'stuff' to try and sort it out on Saturday - the head is wanting to avoid using Rentokil for now as this is a. expensive and b. would mean no vaccuuming for 2 weeks.

The vet (who sees lots of bunnies) was surprised to see fleas on a bunny!

my indoor buns had fleas this year, mild winters dont help the infestation, can come in the hay, or the fleas can hitch a ride on clothes till they find a host, scott cats has had major problem with fleas and hes on frontline, i feel that to much of a chemical on an animal makes them immune, garlic is a good preventive for cats, but you cant use that on buns, mints a repellant, a little of that isnt to bad for the tummy

huge gain weight vibes to you, when linus wouldnt eat hay, and was underweight, i used the oats as alison suggested and rubbed his fav fruit on the hay which was strawberry at the time

AWww so sorry to hear about Gregory, sending him lots of fattening vibes:lol::lol::lol: have you tried him with herbs coriander, basil,:D

Hope he's better soon. He'll be happier when he's free of all his lodgers.

Our first rabbit came from a friend in August who had cats and she must have brought a few with her. When we had her spayed the following February, they had to cancel the op as when they put her under GA, there were hundreds of unconscious fleas. I felt so guilty as I didn't realise rabbits could get fleas. We really knew nothing about them then. Advantage was really good and now I dose my buns every few months just to make sure.

Yes, I think I will do him every few months or so now, as there's no guarantees they won't turn up in school again!

Just put the stuff on and it was very easy - wish metacam was that simple to administer!

He ate a small amount of hay overnight so I was very pleased to see that - none all day though unfortunately!

Glad Twombles likes readigrass - she'll love it here! (apart from the fact we're flea ridden of course!)

Well you never know, she might encourage him to eat hay...sometimes the sort of "what she having? hmmm I might try some of that" has an effect. Buns also like to keep close to each other so if she's munching hay in the litter tray he might come and join her to keep her company and have a nibble whilst he's there.

My school is currently infested with fleas - 5 children in my class have been bitten, one jumoed off a book another teacher was marking in Year 5, the other Year 5 teacher had bites all over her back. The caretaker has got 3 litres of 'stuff' to try and sort it out on Saturday - the head is wanting to avoid using Rentokil for now as this is a. expensive and b. would mean no vaccuuming for 2 weeks.

The vet (who sees lots of bunnies) was surprised to see fleas on a bunny!

Oh no. How horrible for the school - and everyone who goes there! Hope they are sorted soon.

Get well vibes for Gregory coming your way

Back