• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Got bunnies! :)

Hi to everybody who helped me yesterday. Today we got 2 x 14-week-old buns from a breeder (who breeds and sells occasional buns in order to help pay for the upkeep of the rescue rabbits they take in). Anyway, a boy and a girl from the same litter. Mostly mini lop, with a little bit of lionhead in them. They have settled in beautifully and seem to adore each other. I shall be phoning the vet tomorrow to make an appointment to have the little boy neutered (although his thingies haven't yet appeared, he is already mounting the little girl, who doesn't seem to mind, but ...) There's lots of kissing and snuggling. We have a hutch with a run below it and a ramp. They managed that fine, after a few nervous attempts - but I'm not sure if they'd seen grass before and have practically finished off the patch they're sitting on! I let them out for a run around the garden too - and they loved the freedom (lots of leaps and ears flopping!) Our old hutch was on the patio (slabs), but it didn't have a run attached. I thought we'd have to put the new one on the grass, but I've been reading messages on here, and I see a lot of people have their runs on concrete - I don't like the sound of that all that much, but we don't have room to keep moving the hutch around, so maybe we will move it onto the patio with some bark over the slabs? They will be let out into the garden at least once a day. What would you all recommend as toys?

No names yet! Perhaps Princess Arabella and Pythagoras, but those are not definite, because I'm not sure they 'fit. Anyway, here are the buns. The boy's on the left.

bunnies.jpg

Aw they are really gorgeous.:love::love::love:

Are you intending to keep them together up until his neuter? Or do you have plans to separate them at some point?

Hi BunnyBuddy

They will have to stay together, as I've nowhere else to put them! I think maybe I should get the girl done first, perhaps - but I'll ask the vet.

Hi JackBun
It's an odd hutch, in that it's square, so it goes back a long way (about twice as much as an 'ordinary' hutch. And it has a pitched room, so there is plenty of room for the buns to stand up. The only thing is that the ramp 'hole' takes up a bit of the living room. If it looks that it's getting a bit tight, I'll have to consider, using the alternative bit of flooring, provided (without ramp hole) and putting the run to the front of the hutch. I prefer the hutch to be off the ground though. The bedroom is huge! They will also have the run of the secure garden when they can be supervised - at least a couple hours a day, usually.

hutch.jpg

They are very pretty :wave:

Def get girlie done asap as the boy will still be fertile for upto a month after. You could get them both neutered at the same time if the vet is happy that they are both ready. My vet neuters pairs same day and lets them recover together too (speeds up recovery being with each other).

I reckon you may well need a bigger hutch/run combo sooner than you think! They grow so quick! :shock: :lol:

Thats cool that they will get to free range in the garden when you are about!

I give mine flowerpots filled with dirt, cardboard tubes and boxes stuffed with yummy herbs and hays, hang rosemary and lavender in the hutch for them to grab and munch :) One of mine loves my sons footballs :shock:

Awwww, they're very cute. :love:

My run is on patio slabs and Alfie will usually chose to sit down there rather than on the huge pile of hay I give him upstairs. :lol:

Back