• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded - but can they go indoors?

Hello:wave:
Eric and Ernie are bonded again now and I neutralised all the outside things before they came home.
They both loved coming indoors (seperately), before bonding, but I haven't let them come in since.:(
I didn't neutralise indoors, so not sure if to let them come in again.

Now they are bonded, can they come back indoors together or will they fight because their scents are still there?

Not sure if this makes sense:?

how long have they been bonded for? as generally rabits are ok if been bonded for a while. you could try them coming indoors but just keep an eye on them. i didnt have any issues with my two but tehy were a special bond who bonded themselves. i know that if i take them to new territory like we visit mums or anywherre then arthur feels he must hump dora to prove she is his and chase a bit so i think that might happen but i didnt get any violence. hope that helps good lcuk x

That does make sense :)

Maybe if you are worried you could put a dab of vanilla above each of their noses so that they can only smell that and not the scents in the room, and by the time that has worn off, chances are they will have both their scents around.

It might be worth leaving it until they are solidly bonded and they know that they are (that sounds stupid, but sometimes when buns are unsettled too soon after bonding you have to rebond a bit).

Thanks for the prompt reply.
They have only been bonded about a week now.
Maybe I'll leave it a bit longer.

It's just that with the cold evenngs now, I don't like to put them to bed too early and they get so cold. I know rabbits are better in the cold than heat, but when I pick them up to put them to bed, their little ears are cold:(:(:(

We are getting a shed soon, so at least they can take themselves to bed if they want to!

Anyway, thanks again.

Personally I would neutralise the area indoors where they will be allowed to go. A week is actually very little time when bonding rabbits. I would not want to risk all the hard work / worry which has gone into pairing your buns.

well for now i would stick extra bedding into the hutch lots of layers of straw and hay.. with newspaper underneath.. and cover the hutch with layers of blankets to insulate it. could try putting a cardbord box filled with hay inside to to make a little snuggly hidey place in the hutch.. as janice says a week isnt long so do a quick neutralies if you can to try and avoid any conflict.

Thanks again

Have I understood porperly?
It's possible then that the bond can be broken again? Oh no.

How can I prevent that from happening?

It's very rare for bonded rabbits to suddenly un-bond unless they have been separated for a period of time. But only a week in, it's not a fully established bond yet so I would leave it longer too.

Re: worries about them being cold - they will get more cold if you keep bringing them in and taking them out again, as they won't grow a nice thick winter coat if they keep having periods in the warm. Imagine what it would be like if you were indoors during the warm during the day and then put outside overnight wearing the same clothes...far easier to stay outside in a nice thick coat which is prepared for the job! Cold ears is actually good in that respect, it means that their body's natural mechanism for taking blood away from the ears when it's colder is working as it is meant to! As long as they have somewhere cosy and dry to snuggle up to, they'll be fine :D

Hello again,
Thank you for your reply Alison.
About the cold - that all makes sense! The sooner we get the shed, the better.
At least they can go in and out as much as they choose.

I will leave bringing them inside for a much later date. (if ever). It's just that they loved to "chill" under the table. I'll make sure the shed is cosy!

Back