• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can we prepare for spey?

Hugbut

Mama Doe
I'm hoping to get Phoebe speyed in the next couple of weeks & was wondering if there's anything i can do to help her/me in preperation for the op? I've only ever had males neutered which i know is a simpler op compared to a spey so i'm panicking a bit! I just want to make it as stress-free as possible for her, so was wondering if anyone's got any tips?

I haven't read that link, but in preparation for any spays I have seen my girls through I have fed them a variety of fresh to find out what they prefer (so that I know what to tempt them with after). I also got a second bowl in with them and experimented with what they liked added to water, again to tempt them (my bunnies vary from a drop of cranberry/apple juice, or water that has had banana/basil/mint soaked in it).

Lastly I syringe trained all my buns so that if they needed meds after I didn't have to handle them, they just knew that the syringe held something good and would come over for it. I did this by using diluted apple juice and poking the syringe through the bars, and the buns would come over and I would allow them to drink from it. They see it as a treat, and it has worked excellently, and when they have not drunk themselves, I have been able to encourage them to drink this way too.

i had the opposite iv always had female and was dreading arthurs neutere.. but he has been fine... regarding girls.. they tend to recover slower make sure you have an indoor area to keep her and keep her warm..you will probly be surprised at the size of the area shaved on a girl and the initial shock has worn off you will realise the cut is not that long for the scar. getting her to eat wil l be important so i get in fluffy towels(warmth) wilko shredded paper bedding...adn lots offresh herbs in preperation... also keep some baby food in your cupboard just in case she needs tempting xx good luck x

Back