• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you call this a rabbit hutch :(

isn't it a bit harsh to buy it and get rid of it :? what if someone wanted it for a run shelter? and anyone wanting a hutch that size would just buy another one anyway, so it wouldnt solve anything. i agree it's too small though.

Although this one is actually described as suitable for guinea pigs I have recently had an arguement with a pet shop owner (no -not the one from a couple of weeks ago -this is another one) who is selling 30inchx16inchx16inch hutches.
When I complained they said they are not selling them for rabbits they are selling them for chipmunks, ferrets or tortoises. I have no idea of the requirements of these pets so had no answer.
I pointed out that it was being sold next to a run labelled rabbit run- yes-they said -the run was for a rabbit but not the hutch. When I asked if they would tell that to customers they said they would(though I'm sure they wouldn't).
I mentioned that the first prosecution had taken place under the animal welfare act and they said they were "acting within the law, and besides -the rspca officer who called recently just walked past the hutches and didn't mention them". They said they sell all sorts of hutches for all sorts of pets. They have larger(4ft x18inches)! hutches available and its up to the customer. ARghhh.
What can we do?:(-Sue

RSPCA comments welcome

I have one of those!!!!

But before i get yelled at :lol: it was used for a shelter for my tortosie when she was out for her runs in the garden, not for anything furry

I want one of similar size because this time next week I'll hopefully have a 8ftx4ft run to go on the grass and I'll need a shelter. I'm also looking for a smallish hutch to go in Charlie and Mocha's run so they can sit on/in it as Peppa and Nesbit have the old 3ft thing that George and Peppa came in.

But I hope it doesn't gets sold to someone who doesn't intend on keeping an animal in there 24/7. Its way too small.

someone pm tamsin she wants a small run shelter and didnt know where to look then it can be bought and have a good home xx

I think there are practically no laws on the size of a hutch that you can keep an animal in... I believe it in as long as the animal can turn around then it's suitable o_O

The RSPCA (in my opinion) are totally useless and i wouldn't ring them as i KNOW they wouldn't do anything until the animal was dead.

A few years ago i rang them about a rabbit. This rabbit belonged to someone i knew and didn't get along with. They had a hutch in the garden but they let it out... yes out onto the road. It used to hop about the streets, onthe road, in people's gardens. It even managed to find its way onto the fields which backed onto my garden. I knew it was going to get run over, eaten by a fox or mauled by a dog or cat so i caught it... thinking the people had lost it and returned it. They said "oh he just goes out when he wants" :shock:

So i rang the RSPCA when i saw him out on the road again, they went round to their house then came back to mine and said "there'snothing we can do because they want to keep the rabbit, the only way we can take him is if they sign him over!!" :shock: How ridiculous is that? Letting a rabbit out must be illegal as itwill breed with wild rabbits and it must be counted as neglect!

But ths shows how much the RSPCA can do... and thats nothing.

I think there are practically no laws on the size of a hutch that you can keep an animal in... I believe it in as long as the animal can turn around then it's suitable o_O
yes there are it scalled the animal welfare act it doesnt state a size but does say the amount of space each animal needs ie a rabbit fully stretch up and 3 hops across..
The RSPCA (in my opinion) are totally useless and i wouldn't ring them as i KNOW they wouldn't do anything until the animal was dead.
they arent always that bad but some areas seem to have less useful rspca people
A few years ago i rang them about a rabbit. This rabbit belonged to someone i knew and didn't get along with. They had a hutch in the garden but they let it out... yes out onto the road. It used to hop about the streets, onthe road, in people's gardens. It even managed to find its way onto the fields which backed onto my garden. I knew it was going to get run over, eaten by a fox or mauled by a dog or cat so i caught it... thinking the people had lost it and returned it. They said "oh he just goes out when he wants" :shock:

So i rang the RSPCA when i saw him out on the road again, they went round to their house then came back to mine and said "there'snothing we can do because they want to keep the rabbit, the only way we can take him is if they sign him over!!" :shock: How ridiculous is that? Letting a rabbit out must be illegal as itwill breed with wild rabbits and it must be counted as neglect!

But ths shows how much the RSPCA can do... and thats nothing.

i think that their hands are tied by the law on a lot of things if the law changes im sure they will be able to act moer against things.

wish there was more rspca can do tho. x

The RSPCA can only work within the laws the government have set. Now, due to the introduction of the Animal Welfare Act they are legally able to step in BEFORE cruelty occurs, where as a few years ago, they couldnt do anything until an act of cruelty had been committed.

Remember, they are just a charity, and not upholders of the law like the police. The only way to really protect animals, is to introduce legislation that states what home an animal can or can not live in.

I would say however, that a hutch of that size would suggest that a rabbit, or even a guinea pig, would not be able to express normal behaviour, which is a condition stipulated in this new law.

You'll find that stories vary a lot. The people in the story you quoted may have given the inspector a story about how it escaped but they won't let it happen again, or something such.

The RSPCA do in some case take rabbits that are not being looked after properly, although there isn't a lot of consistency as it is dependant on local resources.

I have adopted a rabbit that was being kept with her mother, father and two littermates in a 4ft hutch.

She was pregnant by the time she was approximately 14 weeks, as was her sister at two weeks older. Five of young buns were taking into care to be adopted.

ok i didnt read the ad but anyone think an animal may still be in there due to the fact theres clean sawdust and a greenish bottle and a food bowl????? as i know a lot of people sell there hutches as you are not allowed to sell as live stock just a thought

Just a thought, but maybe they are selling it because they realise its not big enough? Sounds like they have only owned it for a few weeks.

Just a thought, but maybe they are selling it because they realise its not big enough? Sounds like they have only owned it for a few weeks.

maybe but i think its being used previously for a g.pig as they are selling it with g pig bag of food. so could be but less likely. x or maybe they hade changed foods to i gues we wont know x

Back