• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit and pneumonia

chenaiski

New Kit
hi all my rabbit has been diaognosed with pneumonia severely. hes had it a week now and is being treated with baytril and seems to be getting much betta hes eating and drinking on his own not alot but enough has anyone else had this experience and did your rabbit come through it in the end xx

hi all my rabbit has been diaognosed with pneumonia severely. hes had it a week now and is being treated with baytril and seems to be getting much betta hes eating and drinking on his own not alot but enough has anyone else had this experience and did your rabbit come through it in the end xx

Yes, I have had several Buns diagnosed with Pneumonia. Most were prescribed a more 'heavy duty' antibiotic than Baytril. They also required intensive nursing care and medication to keep their GI tract working. They were given anti-inflammatories and in some cases some medication was administered via a nebuliser.

The Buns have recovered although some were left with permanent lung damage due to the previous infection. I am glad your Bun appears to be responding well to Baytril and I hope he will soon be better. Sometimes the course of Baytril needs to be a long one, possibly up to 6 weeks. Giving a probiotic such as Bio-Lapis or Fibreplex whilst Bun is on antibiotics will help him maintain a good balance of gut flora. Antibiotics can kill off the 'good' gut bacteria and probiotics can help redress the balance.

:)

The Buns have recovered although some were left with permanent lung damage due to the previous infection. I am glad your Bun appears to be responding well to Baytril and I hope he will soon be better. Sometimes the course of Baytril needs to be a long one, possibly up to 6 weeks. Giving a probiotic such as Bio-Lapis or Fibreplex whilst Bun is on antibiotics will help him maintain a good balance of gut flora. Antibiotics can kill off the 'good' gut bacteria and probiotics can help redress the balance.

:)

i had a bun who got pneumonia..lucky sadly she had this on top of other ailments and was eventually put down(brain tumour and paralysis of the larynx) but she survived a long time after initial diagnosis and we gave physiotherapy by gently cupping a hand and hitting very getnly her sides to help the mucous build up and fluid move... this has to be done very gently tho. i am not sure if this was to help her pneumonia or to help with other lung issues she had at the same time speak to avet befoer trying anything x x

thanks for replys. he seems to have brightened up and is eating small amounts and drinking he has a thing that everytime he drinks he has to yank the metal bit with his teeth much to my delight hes starting doing it again as since hes been poorly he stopped, the vet said his chances were very slim taht was a week ago do you think he sounds like he stands a chance as i wouldve thought being as severe as it is he wouldve passed before now x

I've never had a rabbit with pnemonia, but I've had a kitten and a duck with it. The kitten made it through but my duck William didn't :cry: The vet put him on baytril and he fought it for 16 days but died April 10, 08.

I hope your rabbit makes it through :D Its a good sign he's starting to eat and drink on his own.

Simba was taken ill on the Sunday and was PTS on the Thursday. He just got progressively worse though until he could hardly breathe.

As Jim is improving everyday I'm sure he will be fine. Simba was rescued from bad conditions and we don't know if he had suffered any previous illness which could have caused lung damage.

hes was losing lots of discharge from his nose last night and today im assuming this as a good sign as im hoping it means the infection is clearing out of his system fingers crossed anyway!!! hes a bit bunged up but cleaning his nose every few hours, he didnt eat his pelet food last night but has eaten plenty of greens and is having his liquid food 4-5 times a day really hoping hes on the mend

is it still normal for them to be losing discharge from nose a week after diaognosis and any suggestions ive tried cleaning his fur around nose with warm water but its drying and going hard

I tried cleaning Simba's nose but it was an impossible task as it was so crusty and sore :(

Can he breathe ok?

I've had a pneumonia bun. She had recurring bouts of it over a couple of years - each bout caused more scarring on her lungs and so it got progressively worse. I was always prescribed Zithromax which seemed to work well. I found I had to increase her pellets and give her lots of high energy foods as she got very thin. Towards the latter part of her life, she was using all her energy to breathe so lost weight quickly. However, she had a good quality of life for a couple of years and passed away aged eight and a half. She's the bun in my avatar.

hi yeah his breathing is ok a bit snotty at times but generally good last week he was rasping for air but im cleaning his nose 5-6 times a day and using cotton buds to gets into nostrils to get it out, i got him some bunny vitamin to put in his water and some dried fruit which he likes it s been 9 days now since he went vets and vet said it was the worst case of pneumonia hed ever seen so surely the fact hes still here is a good sign i hope hes fighting it hes certainly got alot of kick in him when he dont want to take his antibiotic, im using hibby scrub i think its called my mum used this on her bunny who used to get mucky bum which sadly cost her her life in the end and this works a treat in wiping nose and getting rid of dried up discharge

Back