• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbit keeps bleeding...

claire193

Young Bun
is 3 years old and has been spayed. a few months ago i found blood in her hutch so took her to the vets they gave some antibiotics and said it was prob a upset tummy. anyway a few weeks later same thing happend they suggested it was something i was feeding her. anyway its not happend for a while until today there is more blood there. she seems fine and healthy just this mysterious blood that appears now and then. what do you suggest? I have recently read about some sort of cancer in female rabbits. But i thought spaying prevented that, maybe the vets didnt spay her correctly?

First of all are you sure it's blood? Sometimes bunny wee can be red?

If it is blood I would suggest taking her to a different vet as saying it is probably a tummy upset doesn't sound right to me, or giving antibiotics for tummy problems? Not sure if you are near this vet http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=148304

It can be a sign of uterine cancer but spaying will prevent this.

Last edited:
Could it be severe cystitis? If so she would need treatment. Hope you find a rabbit savvy vet to help. She could still have cystitis even if she was spayed.

Does the "blood" only happen after carrot or rose leaves as this can make their wee orangey red.-Sue:wave:

could you download a pic of the wee?

put the blood onto some toilet tissue or some kitchen roll.. then see what colour it geos..blood will dry a brown colour if this is the case as sdf76 said it could be cystitus or a severe uti. if it drys an orangy colour it is just high protein in the wee and is nothing to major to worry about many plants wil lcause this.. rose leaves and carrot and other higher protein foods too fingers crossed its just the wee x

Is it something she is passing? Or are you just finding it around.

If it's in the urine, I'm inclined to agree with everyone else, but what did come to mind was the possibility of catching a nail?

Back