• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tiny black poos

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
Ted's poos have started going small again and very black, i've order those hairball tablets. not sure if this is the problem? her eating is fine, just last night the poos where very small and black, checked her bum and all looks fine in the nether region.

What is her diet?
Hay should form 80-90% of her daily food intake.
Does she drink enough?
Does she get lots of exercise?
Has she had a thorough Dental examination?
Do you groom her daily (to prevent her ingesting too much fur)?

:)

She gets a handful of science selective
Loads of timothy hay which most is polished off by the morning,
she doesn't drink a whole lot but never has and her poos where normal, just the odd time they seem to get small making me think it's hair congestion.
Teeth were check recently and she gets groomed every night as she's a lionhead plus when i'm petting her alot of hairs will come away.

nope they hardly get any grass the odd time. (saving for a new house and run for them, bit awkward at the mo cos their seperated) in the evening the get parsely, celery thats bought from the veg shop (it's not the real green stuff and it's got leaves) and a quater of a carrot. iy's only every now and then and after her op (petal attacked her leaving her to get stitches). Vet said that was due to stress her poos being small.

I'm inclined to think she probably needs hydrating, and then looking at what caused it.

What is she stressed about?

If you can give her a bowl/bottle (whatever she is used to) with water and a tiny bit of cranberry juice, or apple juice or vanilla or something, in, then it might entice her to drink. If you do that, make sure that you also give her plain water too so that she has a choice. Maybe also give her her usual greens but soaked in water to encourage her gut to be hydrated.

Any chance she has eaten anything different from normal that could have caused this?

well she has a sugar snap the other night, just a small one. i keep all her veg was and wet in the fridge. i think she fretts a bit when i'm away she's quite attached to me. she drinks out of a bottle, she drinks just over 100ml a day i've been keeping track as petal drinks loads. but she's always drank that much, she's kept in sawdust so she might pile sawdust into a water bowl. she's looking really healthy at the mo and has pick up a bit of weight as she was feeling a bit scrawny. just don't know. i know it'll go away for a while but then i creeps back.

poos are alot bigger tonight. some of them are strung together. so thinking it was a bit of a hair ball. ordered her the tablets this afternoon won't arrive for a while though. will try so juice in her what. was going to be put a tiny drop of diluted in tonight. very little, would this be ok? i've only pure orange juice in the but got barely summer fruits diluted which i was going to use.

runt o shops in morning and get fresh squeezed pineapple not form concentrate...bif gets it syringed with her meds when shes like that.

i give fibreplex paste makes poos bigger helps tummy move. hair balls in bunnies dont exist like they do in cats n dogs but if bunnies guts slow down then fur gets stuck. i know the prob ive got moulting house buns and the stringy poos appear every now and then.

bifs a nervous stressed out bun..vet said she had a bunny version of post traumatic stress dsorder..and shes got a lower jaw which goes back too far..so she gets dental probs..always check again if poos go tiny and dark..even if the check was a few weeks ago. it can happen that fast or spurs not noticed at time grow mega fast!

bif has timothy hay grass and some dried grass as the bulk of her intake a day but she used ot have lighter poos when she was eating ehr russell rabbit bedidng fine straw fromt he litter tray she always had golden poos:lol:

now shes bonded with our lionhead shes not got a hope he eats so fast and so much in one go its scary!:lol:

vetmed uk sell the fibreplex paste at the cheapest ive seen it but if youre vets is a rabit savvy one they should have some there...one tube lasts roughly two days..but i we usually give bif up to two tubes as it helps her tummy.

theyve been in the grass today its rellay long and was wet but they loved a quick play session..so black frenhcie poos tonight and bandit and bif as well...greens make their pooos dark too. but if theyre dark and small be aware a vet visit may be caling!

Right i'll have a look for this fibreplex. tried her with some diluted juice at the weekend and didn't encourage any more drinking but will see bout getting some pinapple juice for her tonight. She gets timothy hay too and has parsley, celery and carrot in the evening. Getting them medow hay today for their bedding as it's getting cold so maybe she might start eating it and might help. Petal my french lops are lovely big golden poos, ted's are half the size. They where fine till petal attacked her and she ended up in the vets to get stitches, ever since she's been funny and took my ages to get her back on track for her eating habits. right will try the juice first then see about that fibreplex. thanks.

Back