• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's not looking good for Lottie/UD 2nd Oct

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I'm so sad about Lottie, she has gone down hill so quickly I thought we would loose her today :cry::cry: She is still with us but we are taking it day by day.

we have only had her just under 4 weeks but love her to pieces, she is such a special girl.

When she arrived she had bad cataracts on both eyes, but 2 weeks ago her eyes started to bulge and our vet, Jen, feared she has tumours behind her eyes. Her right eye is now very prominent and seems to be getting worse each day. A couple of days ago i noticed that her other eye had changed colour to a deep red behind the cataract.

Lottie had a thorough check up to day and it seems like her left eye has haemorrahged and the pressure in the other is very high and painful.

She also didn't eat much last night or anything this morning. She has eaten a small amount of banana this evening. Lottie has had metaclopromide and we have increased her pain relief but if she doesn't start eating better I am going to have to let her go :cry::cry::cry:

The only reason jen agreed to give her a bit more time is that I am convinced that Lottie is relatively happy. She is still enjoying her free range time, and potters about the house occassionally doing a little happy wiggle.

I really hope Lottie can have a few more quality days as a pampered house bunny.

here are a few pics of her in the garden a few days ago, when she was really enjoying the warm weather. Her eye had just been bathed, which is why it looks so wet

HPIM1230.jpg

HPIM1231.jpg

These were taken this morning, sorry some aren't too clear. They show just how badly her eye is protruding on the right side. It also shows how quickly it has happened as there are only a few days between these piccys :(

HPIM1257.jpg

HPIM1259.jpg

HPIM1260.jpg

Its amazing how attached you can get to a little bunny in a few short weeks. She has the most amazing personality and we love her so much

Last edited:
Those pictures of her eyes are awful, poor little thing. I know you'll do the right thing for her when the time is right. Love to Lottie and Lola xx

Poor little girly:(, I am sending all the vibes in the world for her. Whatever happens atleast she has had a lovely home for the past 4 weeks. And been pampered lots. Must be awful for you. Bless her, Huge hugs and nose rubs. Giving you hugs too.. xxxx

poor baby could she have them removed..eyes and tumour? to relieve pressure? you said to me blind rabbits have a happy life? at least there would be no pain?

I don't think they would be able to successfully remove the tumours as well. She also has other problems so it is highly unlikely she would survive a GA for a small op let alone something as big as that.

If it was an option I would try it in a flash

Most blind rabbits can lead a happy life although depending onthe cause it may not necessarily be as long as a healthy rabbits life. Lily is an old blind bun and is happily living outside. Elwood is blind and deaf and is one of the happiest rabbits I know, but I don't know if he will have a normal life span due to the cause of his problems. Sometimes it is about quality not just quantity.

Lottie's eyes are exceptionally bad, neither I or my vet have seen anything so bad in a bunny :cry:

Last edited:
Yaaaayyyyy she's eating some excel junior for supper :)

Every time I feed her i have my heart in my mouth in case she doesn't touch it. I'm so relieved ( for today anyway)

Im pleased she is eating, she is beautiful. Her eye looks painful, bless her.

Hope you get to spend much longer with her xx

Ask your vet is it not possible she has glaucoma rather than tumours? If that's the case her eyes can be removed or they can inject gentomycin or something similar to the eyeball to bring the pressure down and make her more comfortable.

She couldn't be diabetic could she, diabetes can cause gluacoma and bleeding behind the eyes. I don't know if diabetes is common in rabbits, but it might be possible. Hope you have her for a wee while longer.

Ask your vet is it not possible she has glaucoma rather than tumours? If that's the case her eyes can be removed or they can inject gentomycin or something similar to the eyeball to bring the pressure down and make her more comfortable.

Jen did say there may be glaucoma in the protruding eye now but it wasn't there 2 weeks ago when she thought tumours may be involved. The other eye that has haemorraged has no sign of glaucoma rather it has been caused by pressure behind the eye.

Sadly Lottie has been loosing weight over the past weeks despite eating reasonably well for most of this time, so it seems likely that other major organs have problems as well. She is too weak to survive a GA, if there was any other treatm,ent for her I know Jen would have offered it and I would certainly jump at the chance.

She also has major dental disease although her teeth aren't causing any problems at the moment and EC

Oh poor Lottie, what a beautiful little girl. Sending lots of vibes & hugs, hoping you get to spend a bit more quality time together xxxx

That's so sad, but at least Lottie is getting the best medical care possible as well as much love and TLC. I've been in the same position with one of my previous dogs and I don't envy you. You just have to take it a day at a time and enjoy the time you have. Sending positive thoughts yours and Lottie's way that you have lots of time left to share.

Back