• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperate for some help

curlygirl

New Kit
If I can't sort this problem out then I think I will have to rehome some of my buns.

In a nutshell, I have 8 beautiful rabbits who are all family in one way or another! They were in two groups, two neutered males living together and then one neutered male with five females, two speyed, three non-speyed.

A couple of months ago I had a problem with the girls in the big group fighting, and consequently I decided to split the large group into two groups of three, the male and 2 speyed girls in one, and the three non-speyed in the other. I have had to buy a new hutch and run and lots more equipment which is obviously expensive.

Then this weekend everything has gone wrong as two of the non-speyed group (Pixie and Treacle) have begun fighting, really really badly, with blood and split ears everywhere. I had to split the group into a duo (Pixie and Panda) and single (Treacle). I have tried without luck to re-bond the girls but they just scrap so much that I'm worried something terrible will happen if I keep trying. Luckily I have a three storey hutch which I have been able to split into two sections for these three, but it is only a short term option.

I know they're being territorial, I understand there's lots of bunny smells about the place and they're probably stressed, but I just don't know what to do next. I cannot afford another hutch but I just can't see these girls ever getting back together.
Treacle is now alone, miserable and becoming scared even of me. I've given her a teddy bear but she just bites it :cry:

I don't know what to do......

Can you get them so that they are all spayed? That might take a while but would probably change their territorialness, and that might then allow them to be rebonded back.

I'd suggest you try getting the non spayed girls spayed. Unspayed females can be quite territorial which can lead to fights, particularly if they are kept in groups.

After spaying you may find you can rearrange the groups to bond them back together.

Yes I think the only answer is to get them all neutered. I had two girls who started to fight but after getting them spayed they are now living together without any real fighting at all.

If you are on benefits or similar then sometimes the PDSA will help out with costs of getting them neutered. Sometimes the RSPCA give out vouchers, but this is done by the local branch and only a limited offer I think.

Thanks for that.

I'm not on benefits and so will have to shell out for it myself. If it works, then great, I'm just concerned that I may spend another £100 and still end up with the same problem. I feel very despondent about the whole situation. :cry:

I just want happy bunnies!

if they are allspeyed and then you re introduce them in neutral territory there is no reason why it couldnt work...especially if you got a good bonder to help you do it.... also give it time forr wounds to heal you wouldnt befreind someone who had just had a fight with you but wiht a bit of time you might be ok again. definatly get them all speyed this is a commen problem in unneutered rabbits especially females.

Back