• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PLEASE Bugsy needs mega vibes he is desperately poorly.Bugsy and Barlie have gone

Maizey

Wise Old Thumper
Today Bugsy has just been lying around taking no interest in anything,he is usually the noseyest bunny in the world.I have just got him in and checked his ears which are still very waxy and cleaned what I could see out with a cotton Bud.He then just went and lay in his hey,his breathing seems fast.I offered him some toast which he loves and he didn't want It so I then gave him some basil and Parsley which he has eaten still lying down.I then gave him some metacam.I have just put him back in the Garden and he went and lay down next to Barlie.Even Andy Is worried about him.My vet Is ill and I'm not taking him to see the useless one I saw yesterday after the Myxi fiasco.Does any one have any Ideas what could be wrong with him

Last edited:
It sounds like tummy pain to me.
Is he pooing and is he still on abx for his ears?

Hi Jane I think you are right as always.I just picked him up and he had a big sticky poo stuck to his bum.I have never had a bunny with stasis before.I picked him up an massaged his tummy,which he wouldn't usually let me do.I did it for 5mins then he kind of said to me In a bunny way, "Ive had enough".
I put him down and he started eating grass then ran up to Willow and tried to instigate a fight.I knew then He was on the mend.I was so worried I love that bunny so much.Andy was even worried about Bugsy and said get him to a vet:shock::shock:As he says he doesn't like rabbits.
Bugsy isn't on any abx at the mo as Jane,my vet,said to stop putting things in his ears for a while.I'm going to see her on Tuesday for Myxi jabs and re asses the situation then.
I'm just so relieved and happy.Thank you Jane and everyone else on RU This is such a helpful forum

Maizey, it is a good idea to keep some Infacol (manufactured for babies) in the house, it has been a life saver for me on many occasions....a couple of mls Infacol and some tummy rubs can do wonders for a gassy bunny! :D;) And sometimes save an expensive trip to the vets but if the problems persist then you really do need professional help.

Maizey, it is a good idea to keep some Infacol (manufactured for babies) in the house, it has been a life saver for me on many occasions....a couple of mls Infacol and some tummy rubs can do wonders for a gassy bunny! :D;) And sometimes save an expensive trip to the vets but if the problems persist then you really do need professional help.

Hi lizzie,
Bugsy has had two more poorly moments sice I have last been on.I have given him some Infacol,tummy rubs and sat him on a hot water bunny.he is in the room next to the kitchen and I have left the light on.He is eating at the momement so Im preying he is on the mend.Thank you so much for your help

One of my mini lops has had a couple of bouts of that and each time infacol has put him right along with tummy rubs. When He had his myxi booster today the vet checked his teeth and found some spurs on his back teeth. He said that was what probably caused the problem so he is booked in next week for a dental. Good luck with your bun. Pam

I have come down this morning and Bugsy seems very poorly again.He tried to get in his hey box and his back leg got caught on the edge and he couldn't get It in the box.I picked him up and put him in there and he is just lying there.He seems to be like an old man.He hasn't had a poo in the night.Does this sound normal for some kind of stasis.I will have to take him to see a vet this morning.Should I give him some more infacol?What sort of treatment should the vet give him

I have had Bugsy sat on his heated bunny.I made him up some avro plus and have given him 10ml in basil leaves,I then gave him some tummy rubs.He then ran into the garden and Is now lying down in his run.Please is this normal for some kind of stasis?

I would take him to the Vet today. Even though he is pooing and eating a bit there is obviously something going on and the fact he seems to have a bit of hind leg weakness (the litter tray episode) makes me concerned re has infection now got into his middle ear too. Then there is always the EC possibility. Any gut problems may be secondary to another primary condition.
The sooner a Vet sees him the better as without being able to examin him I can only guess as to what might be wrong.

I would expect the Vet to examin Bugsy's ears, his abdomen, his teeth, listen to his heart and lungs and take his temperature.

Good luck and please keep us posted :)

I have just got back from the vets.She checked Bugsys teeth,tummy and ears which were very waxy.She then took his temperature and It was nearly 42,she had never seen such a high temperature.Bugsy has a massive infection.he has been admitted ans is having IV fluids,anti inflammatorys and antibiotics.She is going to ring The bunny clinic at Langford to see If there is anything else she can do as she said Bugsy Is to Ill to travel.It really doesn't look good for Bugsy.Please please can Bugsy have some prayers and healing vibes

Come on Bugsy!

He's in the right place and it sounds like your vet is doing everything possible.

I truly hope he comes through this.

Thank you so much Ive just rung the vets to tell them to put ice packs around him which they have done.They have tried to ring Langford but the bunny vets are at the zoo and only there on a Wednesday.I cant stop crying I love that rabbit so much he follows me around like a little dog.

Back