• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Signs of eye infection? U/D been to Vets

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Lopsy my french lop has discharge coming from her eyes, noticed it a couple of days ago and proceeded by bathing it, today i noticed, (hard to explain) around her eye ball there appears to be discharge like underneath it at the side? Does this make sense? Her partner is fine, should i take her to the Vets? Or is there something i could do?

I did take pictures, but they wont load to the pc...:?

Thanks xx

Last edited:
take her to the vets there can be a variety of reasons for this. could be conjunctivitus or eye infection she will need eye drops fucilthalmic or tiacil(tiacil stings les sbut deosnt have teh same affects i think..but dont qoute) obiviously check her over for any other things such as lumps or swollen genitailia...just to be on safe side.... could be a blocked tear duct.. or it could be tooth problems...an x ray would show if roots were the cause. x

take her to the vets there can be a variety of reasons for this. could be conjunctivitus or eye infection she will need eye drops fucilthalmic or tiacil(tiacil stings les sbut deosnt have teh same affects i think..but dont qoute) obiviously check her over for any other things such as lumps or swollen genitailia...just to be on safe side.... could be a blocked tear duct.. or it could be tooth problems...an x ray would show if roots were the cause. x

My word. Im worried now.
Cant take her till tomorrow/Friday morning, anything i can do for her until then?

*runs outside to check her privates* - everywhere else is fine, no lumps!

My word. Im worried now.
Cant take her till tomorrow/Friday morning, anything i can do for her until then?

*runs outside to check her privates* - everywhere else is fine, no lumps!

no no no not trying to panic you jsut saying tehre are so many causes of eye discharge that taking her to a vet WHEN YOU CAN is prob best... i wouldnt rush her in if she is ok otherwise just hen you can.... its prob just an eye infection or something minor for now jsut bathe with warm water.xxx

Her girly parts are fine! The madam, shes so heavy to lift and scratched the hell out of me lol!

Shes eating, drinking fine, passing etc..

Will book her in for a check up Friday morning.

I have been bathing with warm water but noticed a build up of it behind the eye today..

xx

Sounds like Bunnybekkies biscuit a while ago, she gets a blocked tear duct and has to have it flushed.

hope it goes ok at the vets!

Will check her eyes again in the morning.
Checked her before work at 4 and they were clear.

Do they have a white bit behind the eye although i am pretty certain it was "goo".. Jacks Jane?

xx

Sorry, only just seen this

I would pop your Bun along to the Vets. There are lots of causes for a 'weepy' eye including a mild conjunctivitis, a blocked nasolacrimal duct (tear duct), Dental problems ......etc

Frenchies appear to be prone to 'weepy eye' problems due to the shape of their skull. The tooth roots can elongate and occlude the nasolacrimal duct.
The breed also has a tendancy towards a congenital ectropion or entropion

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result

A thorough Vet check, including a Dental examination would be the best option

Good luck :)

My Opal sometimes gets a white lump of goo in her eye but its nothing that a bit of Tiacil doesnt solve.

Also get your vet to check your buns teeth, make sure they are not causing a weepy eye.

Try not to worry.

Sorry, only just seen this

I would pop your Bun along to the Vets. There are lots of causes for a 'weepy' eye including a mild conjunctivitis, a blocked nasolacrimal duct (tear duct), Dental problems ......etc

Frenchies appear to be prone to 'weepy eye' problems due to the shape of their skull. The tooth roots can elongate and occlude the nasolacrimal duct.
The breed also has a tendancy towards a congenital ectropion or entropion

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result

A thorough Vet check, including a Dental examination would be the best option

Good luck :)

Thanks Jane, Shes booked in tomorrow morning at 9.30.
Her eyes didnt seem as bad this morning, but im still worried so booked her in.

x

Please let us know how she gets on :)

Of course i will.:)

I had her in at vets a while ago for her feet. Due to bad weather she was getting rather sore on her feet, her fur was greatly matted and mucky on her feet (hutch/run combo on slabs) When i took her to vets she was so difficult i never really got to show them her feet, they just gave her some antibiotics. Her feet arent as bad, but as still abit sore, so im going to make an issue of them checking them tomorrow properly. Plus OH is coming with me so he can help me handle her better.

As for her eyes had a really good look today, its just weepy, theres nothing in the eye itself (for what i can see anyway), but why is it weepy?

I just hope its nothing serious....:)

So the vet gave her a good check over..told me to carry on as normal for her feet and consider a change of hutch. Hummpph!

As with her eye he said she has a minor infection and has given me some eye drops Fucithalmic? One drop in each eye twice a day..
He did mention blocked tear duct but says its not that just a minor infection, so hopefully all will be okay.

Everything else is fine with her, her teeth, her weight and so on. He hasnt seen her before and he was like wow!!! lol

We weighed her too....havent done this for a while...4.15kg...lol

She was great with the vet too, very well behaved!! :D:love:

my rabbit, Jezebel, had some puss coming from her tear duct so i took her to the vet and it was blocked so they operated to flush it and her x-rays show that she had a tooth problem and it was the way her teeth were growing caused the duct to block. She was fine in her self and it just needed cleaning every day or so. i hope this helps

Back