• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit not drinking.

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
OK so i got my new bun yesterday but he is refusing to drink out of the bottle. I've put a bowl in for him but still he refuses to drink. I spilt a little bit of water on his shelf and he was licking at it :?

He's got a nice wt litter box so he's urinating but i'm worried as to why he won't drink from a bowl or bottle? I've been giving him cucumber so he doesnt get dehydrated.

is he eating a lot of grass? or vegetation? this has water in it so there fore bun needs to drink les swater. all my buns prefer the water bowl to bottle tho x

He has had about 5 slices of cucumber and 4 slices of apple since yesterday. I didn't think that would be enough to quench his thirst.

He has a bowl up on the bars coz otherwise he jumps in the water and tips the bow over and generally makes a nice mess :)

Maybe i'm being a worry wort? :oops:

He has had about 5 slices of cucumber and 4 slices of apple since yesterday. I didn't think that would be enough to quench his thirst.

He has a bowl up on the bars coz otherwise he jumps in the water and tips the bow over and generally makes a nice mess :)

Maybe i'm being a worry wort? :oops:

no not worrying..you could try flavouring the water with a bit of apple juice or pinapple juice.. or warm it up slightly to get him to drink more if worried?!

If you add something to the water, then make sure he has plain water there too.

What makes you think he isn't drinking? Maybe he does it when you're not looking? He might not need to drink much if he is getting hydration from elsewhere too.

If you add something to the water, then make sure he has plain water there too.

What makes you think he isn't drinking? Maybe he does it when you're not looking? He might not need to drink much if he is getting hydration from elsewhere too.

well done for mentioning that! sorry i forgot to say put down this as a second bowl so bun has a choice....

The water in his bottle hasn't moved at all. It's been the same level since i filled it last night and i haven't heard or seen him drink from anywhere. When i've offered a drink he didn't want it but a few spilt drops on the shelf he lapped up as if he was thirsty :?

Maybe he prefers to lick it off the shelf? haha I'll wait untl tonight and if he deffinately hasn't drank i'l flavour the bowl of water so he hasa bottle of fresh :) I hope he does drink though.

why not give him some grass or leaves which have moisture in them? if he is weeing he must be drinking.

why not give him some grass or leaves which have moisture in them? if he is weeing he must be drinking.

yes thats what i thought. ooh maybe i'm worrying too much. you must all think im stupid :(

I don't have a garden and if go picking grass on the grassy bit out the front i may look silly lol. I'll leave him be and keep an eye on him and if i'm worried i'll give him some cucumber, thats nice an juicy.

yes thats what i thought. ooh maybe i'm worrying too much. you must all think im stupid :(

I don't have a garden and if go picking grass on the grassy bit out the front i may look silly lol. I'll leave him be and keep an eye on him and if i'm worried i'll give him some cucumber, thats nice an juicy.

not at all we all think you are an attentive owner who lvoes your bun! :) keep an eye on him if hes seemingly unwell pop him to the vets if worried x

haha yes i do love him :)

He seems bright and happy. I think perhaps he's doing this to worry me haha

He's learnt he can jump onto the couch! Didn't take him long! haha

I'm so glad i have him. He lights up the room.

Thankyou for all the advice from everyone.. i will try to be a little less paranoid :)

just to update he had a long drink from a bowl of water that i flavoured with a little fruit juice this morning :) So maybe he just doesn't like water haha :)

That's great! I found with mine, when they liked something like that, once they were drinking, I had to then wean it down so there was no massive change and they adjusted to the taste.

tbh the amount i put in a didn't think he'd even be able to taste but obviously he must have. I'll leave that bowl for a while and see if he continues drinking then i'll switch it to water but from the same bowl and see if he keeps drinking :)

hopefully he will but he's a bit of an awkward customer lol

I had this problem with my baby bunny! She would not lap from the bowl, or drink from the bottle but she was out all day eating in the garden. She would drink from the bottle when I offered it to her - a few laps! I took her to the vet earlier this week and she had a problem with her teeth - her top incisors go behind the bottom! She is ok for the time being. Maybe your bun is drinking when you dont look!

Back